• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Is to return a member data good?

This topic is 4415 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

today I suddently sense(I know before) what is wrapper or module. class supply interface to cover/hide many detail or algorithm. if you put data in private and you can only have a way to destroy the idea. that is to return a member data. outside will see the detail of module through intereface. I think it is bad. what do you think about? class A { public: B getB(){return B;} private: B b; } A a; a.getB()->doB_thing. it will exposure B to outside of A.

Advertisement
Well, first you are returning a copy of the member data - not the member data itself. You probably want to return by reference - return type B&.

But then outside functions can modify private data - so if you return by const reference "const B&" the outside functions can "inspect" your member data but not change it. Usually that, I would call kosher by object-oriented standards.

first of all i think you can make the method a const one so you cant access it... second, you can return a reference, which if im not wrong uses the copy constructure of the class B when you return it and then u use a different copy which is deleted if you dont save it somewhere...

EDIT: haha that wasnt here when i posted... boy im slow :
if i got it ok, then it will expose a copy of B not B itself...

References don't use copy constructor, unless you want to get a copy of the object.

For example:

class A
{
B b;

public:
const B& GetB() const {return b;}
};

// used in code
A a;
a.GetB().doB_thing(); // copy constructor of class B is not used

const B& b = a.GetB(); // copy constructor of class B is not used

B otherB = a.GetB(); // copy constructor of class B is used