Sign in to follow this  

Interesting Syntax

This topic is 4379 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Please explain the syntax of the following: bool (*grid)[4][4]; I imagine two possibilities: 1. grid is a pointer to 4x4 array of boolean values. 2. grid is a 4x4 array of bool pointers. 3. grid is a pointer to an array of bool pointers, each pointing to an array of 4 boolean values. Thanks for your help.

while were on this topic what the hell is this:

const CVector operator | (const scalar_t length) const
{
return *this * (length / !(*this));
}

I say 3.

Forevernoob, you could at least wait for Phineas to get an answer before hijacking his thread.

grid is a pointer to a 4x4 array of bool pointers, e.g.

bool (*grid)[4][4];
bool agrid[4][4];

grid = &agrid;

Quote:
Original post by spoulson
I say 3.

Forevernoob, you could at least wait for Phineas to get an answer before hijacking his thread.

I didnt mean to hijack, sory. Anyways afew months ago someone told me I must understand that code before i could join their team and I still have no clue what the hell it is.

Quote:
Original post by ForeverNoobie

{
}

Simple:
*this dereferences "this" and enables the use of the class' overloaded operators without using "->".
If you don't dereference "this", you'd have to use the following syntax to invoke the overloaded operators:

{
return this->operator * ( length / this->operator !( ) );
}

Your code sample, btw. messes the operator semantics up in a horrible way[smile]. If you mean what the code does - it sets the length of CVector to the value specified by the "length" parameter (assuming the unary ! operator returns the length of the vector and "*" denotes scalar multiplication).

Cheers,
Pat.

Quote:
Original post by ForeverNoobie

{
}

I'd say it's a good example of what Not to do with operator overloading.

It looks like it sets the length of a vector to the value specified, by scaling it. The assumption with this though is that the ! operator has been overloaded to return the current vector length.

In my opinion though this kind of operator overloading is a bad coding technique as it's so ambiguous. Much better to have a properly named function to do that same thing.

To be honest, I recon you're better off not joining the team that wrote that anyway :)

Woah, that's one hell of a WTF. Code like that is why some (mostly Java) people insist that operator overloading is an unconditionally bad feature.

Quote:
Original post by Sharlin
Woah, that's one hell of a WTF. Code like that is why some (mostly Java) people insist that operator overloading is an unconditionally bad feature.

its just the use of operator!() that is confusing. the others( operator*, operator/ ) are okay.

Quote:
Original post by Sharlin
Well, using operator| to scale a vector isn't too obvious either.

yeah i suppose i missed that. i was only looking at the code inside the function.

yeah, thats bad alright...

{
}

Does this even compile? That is, is it valid to use a this pointer if the method isn't within a class, like: "const CVector CVector::operator | ..."? If it is valid, then what exactly is this this-ing?

Quote:
Original post by Sharlin

Operator overloading (and even the ability to define new operators, which you can't really do in C++) has it's uses, but it can be abused very badly.

Quote:
Original post by socrates200X
...Does this even compile?

It's probably a typo or defined inside the class -- otherwise it won't compile for a couple reasons. As you note, it should then be "CVector::operator |"

BTW, one reason for not using '|' for multiplication is that the precedence is wrong. What is the value of c below?

CVector a( 1, 1, 1 );
CVector b( 2, 2, 2 );
CVector c = a + b|3;
If you think it is [7, 7, 7], you are the victim of poorly designed operator overloading.

How about this one:

char (*(*x())[])()

is a function returning a pointer to an array of pointers
to functions returning char

Quote:
Original post by JohnBolton
Quote:

It's probably a typo -- otherwise it won't compile for a couple reasons. As you note, it should be"CVector::operator |"

Not necessarily - it could be (and probably is) written inline inside the class declaration.

Quote:
Original post by JohnBolton
Quote:

It's probably a typo or defined inside the class -- otherwise it won't compile for a couple reasons. As you note, it should then be "CVector::operator |"

BTW, one reason for not using '|' for multiplication is that the precedence is wrong. What is the value of c below?

CVector a( 1, 1, 1 );
CVector b( 2, 2, 2 );
CVector c = a + b|3;
If you think it is [7, 7, 7], you are the victim of poorly designed operator overloading.

They're not using it for multiplication but for normalization, if I understood it correctly. In which case they probably do want an operator with lower precedence than addition :

This topic is 4379 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.