Interesting Syntax

Started by
17 comments, last by b2b3 18 years, 3 months ago
Please explain the syntax of the following: bool (*grid)[4][4]; I imagine two possibilities: 1. grid is a pointer to 4x4 array of boolean values. 2. grid is a 4x4 array of bool pointers. 3. grid is a pointer to an array of bool pointers, each pointing to an array of 4 boolean values. Thanks for your help.
Advertisement
while were on this topic what the hell is this:
const CVector operator | (const scalar_t length) const{       return *this * (length / !(*this));}
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. – Leonardo da Vinci
I say 3.

Forevernoob, you could at least wait for Phineas to get an answer before hijacking his thread.
grid is a pointer to a 4x4 array of bool pointers, e.g.
bool (*grid)[4][4];bool agrid[4][4];grid = &agrid;

Quote:Original post by spoulson
I say 3.

Forevernoob, you could at least wait for Phineas to get an answer before hijacking his thread.

I didnt mean to hijack, sory. Anyways afew months ago someone told me I must understand that code before i could join their team and I still have no clue what the hell it is.
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. – Leonardo da Vinci
Quote:Original post by ForeverNoobie
const CVector operator | (const scalar_t length) const{       return *this * (length / !(*this));}

Simple:
*this dereferences "this" and enables the use of the class' overloaded operators without using "->".
If you don't dereference "this", you'd have to use the following syntax to invoke the overloaded operators:
const CVector operator | (const scalar_t length) const{       return this->operator * ( length / this->operator !( ) );}

Your code sample, btw. messes the operator semantics up in a horrible way[smile]. If you mean what the code does - it sets the length of CVector to the value specified by the "length" parameter (assuming the unary ! operator returns the length of the vector and "*" denotes scalar multiplication).

Cheers,
Pat.
Quote:Original post by ForeverNoobie

I'd say it's a good example of what Not to do with operator overloading.

It looks like it sets the length of a vector to the value specified, by scaling it. The assumption with this though is that the ! operator has been overloaded to return the current vector length.

In my opinion though this kind of operator overloading is a bad coding technique as it's so ambiguous. Much better to have a properly named function to do that same thing.

To be honest, I recon you're better off not joining the team that wrote that anyway :)
Woah, that's one hell of a WTF. Code like that is why some (mostly Java) people insist that operator overloading is an unconditionally bad feature.
Quote:Original post by Sharlin
Woah, that's one hell of a WTF. Code like that is why some (mostly Java) people insist that operator overloading is an unconditionally bad feature.

its just the use of operator!() that is confusing. the others( operator*, operator/ ) are okay.
Well, using operator| to scale a vector isn't too obvious either.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement