Interaction between a Particle Engine and Model

Started by
5 comments, last by SCRUB 23 years, 3 months ago
From these tutorials I gather from the collision tutorial that I have brefly looked at , deals with collision detection between a sphere and another sphere . Could someone point me in a direction to get a collision system working with a particle system and a model ? please some colision detection expert thanks el_scrub
LE SCRUB
Advertisement
Not a collision expert but if the particles is small enough can you treat them like points. I guess that the particles is moving so would get a line. Check if that line crosses any of the models polygons.
Usually particle systems use quads. I don''t think anyone would use pixels, since they are far too slow. Bounding box works OK with quads.

Yeah I think bounding box is the way to go here, if you really really need to check particle collisions. I''m not sure what kind of particle system you are planning on doing, but if the system consists of some thing like thousands of particles, you really can''t afford collision checking all of them with all of you polygons.

BTW. I think drawing a particle itself can be done more efficiently -- and it is done mostly -- by drawing a single triangle, not two forming a quad. Dx8 hardware accelerated point sprites are another matter, though..
treat your particles as points (even though they might be quads or whatever) ray -> shape collisions are the cheapest to do.
when you''re doing a particle system you''re usually dealing with 100''s or even 1000''s of particles (accurate collision detection will slow the system down far to much) leave the accurate stuff 4 stuff that matters eg ppl cars etc.

http://members.xoom.com/myBollux
When dealing with something like this, I like to set a point where the particle will be centered(not a point that gets rendered or anything just known) and size the quad around that point. (This works very well to simplify decals and things :D) Using that point u can tell when it hits the model, but like everyone said, don''t check them all or not constantly or you''ll loose alot of performance (depending on the amount of particles.)
Yupp i think you should go with the point-collision type. Also i did a thing in my engine that improved FPS. I use collision detection only when beeing near the particlesystem. Beyond a certain point "cd" won''t be visible anyway..
______________________________Only dead fish go with the main-stream.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement