• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Balanced Quadtree

This topic is 4473 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

hi all i read an article and there was something about a balanced quadtree. i didn't found something about this subject. i already have implemented a quadtree for my engine. the size of the height maps are powers of two (256, 512, ...), so i can easily create quads by dividing by 2. but i read for a balanced quadtree the size is a value power of two + 1, eg. 257, 513,... i use a heightmap tool that saves me the heightmap like that. what is the adventage to use (power of two) + 1 heightmapsizes? thx

Advertisement
I don't think it has to do with balanced quadtrees (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

When a value in the heightmap represents the height of a quad, then it is convenient to make the width and height of the heightmap a power of two. However, the value in a heightmap typically represents the height of a vertex. In that case, it is convenient to make the width and height of the heightmap a power of two plus 1, since the number of vertexes is one more than the number of quads. As you can see:

| | |
| | |

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement