Getting into the 3D development

Started by
10 comments, last by Paulus De Pablo 18 years, 2 months ago
Hi! I just want someone to help me to find a direction how to get in 3D world. So far I have worked in 2D graphics sphere and tried to develop some games. Now I'd like to work with 3D, but i have no idea where to start. I have an idea for quite easy game to create...but i don't know what todo. I've already bought a book about DirectX and I'm downloading DirectX SDK and VC2005 Express. And what I want to ask you for are some links where someone would explain me step by step about creating a game engine, working with graphics and everything connected with 3D Games making...but in the beginning the best would be some basics...thx
Advertisement
I heard "Introduction to 3D Game Programming with Directx 9.0" is good. Only thingI've heard about regarding 3D so I hope it helps
thank you very much for that book but i'd rather use some link(you know it's for free)...
A good book is a much better resource than a web tutorial. Consider it an investment. Googling "D3D tutorial" or "OpenGL tutorial" will give you plenty of results in the latter category, but most of those won't go into the fundamental theories of computer graphics. Not knowing that background can be harmful.

That said... try Google if you really want web tutorials.
Quote:Original post by mscava
Hi!

I just want someone to help me to find a direction how to get in 3D world.
So far I have worked in 2D graphics sphere and tried to develop some games.
Now I'd like to work with 3D, but i have no idea where to start.
I have an idea for quite easy game to create...but i don't know what todo.

I've already bought a book about DirectX and I'm downloading DirectX SDK and VC2005 Express. And what I want to ask you for are some links where someone would explain me step by step about creating a game engine, working with graphics and everything connected with 3D Games making...but in the beginning the best would be some basics...thx

3d graphics consists of three main parts:

1) 3d math; vectors, matrices, planes, lines, and points in 3-space

2) rasterizing polygons; this is the part opengl or directx do for you

3) data management; managing the data for the scene the program displays.

There's alot to know. Most people study these topics for a couple of years before mastering them. The NeHe tutorials are generally considered a good place to start; I don't know of anything similar for directx though.

------------------<a href="http://jsgc.sourceforge.net>jsgc
I haven't made it all that far, but I feel like I've made more progress trying to jump right in and struggling not to drown then I have by reading any of the books that I bought about the topic. It seemed like all of the books I ever read about 3D Programming weren't detailed enough or that they only did very simple things--- for example, I don't have a single 3D book here that actually loads a 3D map! How does that happen when you have 3 books on the subject???

Right now, I'm stuck displaying vertices loaded from a BSP, but, using source code from similar engines, I'm slowly making progress on even that (I've been stuck on it for a week, but each step is a step in the right direction since I'm now running into the error somewhere within the source code rather than my 3D driver).

It sounds like you have a better grasp on the subject then even I did, though, since I didn't even know C++ past the beginner input and output when I started on my project.

Consider investing time and reading online tutorials (I agree with the guy who said Nehe was good). I'm doing well enough (so far) and haven't invested any money. Just lots of time.

Good luck!
-Sarepean
andypike.com has soem nice tuts for beginning Directx 8
Bring more Pain
As you intend to go DirectX way the best resource for you would be DirectX FAQ. You'll find there a lot of useful things, including links to DX tutorials and engines. Just skip the first part of the page, start reading from 'Table of contents'. That page is full of 'gems' (if you search thoroughly).

My project`s facebook page is “DreamLand Page”

Quote:Original post by wh0
I heard "Introduction to 3D Game Programming with Directx 9.0" is good. Only thingI've heard about regarding 3D so I hope it helps

You're absolutely correct. This book is FANTASTIC! Just take a look at the reviews that are around for it.

If you're very confident with 2D graphics programming then go right ahead and move onto 3D graphics. Be aware that a lot of 3D maths is involved, but luckily the previously mentioned book has a prerequisite section that covers what 3D maths you'll need to know for the book.

Good luck :-)!
Thank you guys for all your posts...it really helped me

But i still have one question. Let's say i'm gonna create my own engine for my game. What parts of the engine should be done myself and what parts can be done by API(DX)? I mean which routines can DX9.0 do for me when coding?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement