• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rook

DirectX 8, And Older VooDoo Cards

This topic is 6515 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I Just got the DirectX 8 SDK from Microsoft. I installed it, and tried out some of the sample apps. Everything runs, but the D3D programs won''t detect that my VooDoo card has ANY 3D accelleration functions, and decides to run the software ignoring my card. ===================== My System: True Intel 166MHz Pentium Processor 32Mb RAM Original VooDoo 3D accellerator, with the most up to date drivers (that I can find) ===================== I''ve also been using the DX 6.1 SDK up untill now, and it used the card fine. (I''d get approximately 60 fps on each of the samples, now I can only get approximately 0.25 fps) Any help would be appreciated! Rook

Advertisement
I believe that it is because your drivers do not support DirectX 8. You will have to contact your card manufacturer for some that do.

The problem with that, is that my card is so old that I can''t get newer drivers than the ones 3Dfx updates... and they just went bust.

The only other alternative I can see (if you are right) is that I need a new 3D Card.

If so, do you have any suggestions? (I was planning for an upgrade anyway)

Rook

I''m in exactly the same boat actually. I have an orchid righteous and have looked everywhere for some drivers to no avail. I think a new 3D card will probably be the only option, but I don''t intend to spend the money.

There is, apparantly, the possibility of writing a driver for directX 8 that can use your cards hardware (there is something about it in the documentation, but I can''t remember much about it), but this would probably quite difficult.

I would like to know a list of cards which have drivers to work on DX8.

Hmmm,

My Voodoo2 (with the DirectX7 driver) is working alright with DX8, er I think. I have the MW4 demo, and it runs the first time, but then on subsequent runs it says stuff to the effect of getting updated drivers. So, I mess about with it''s reg settings so it thinks it''s starting up the first time again... and I''m ready for another game

My Righteous 3D II has been living off the reference drivers of 3Dfx since Righteous/Micronics disappeared into that Diamond place. And now with 3Dfx itself on the cliff edge (if not alrady over it), it looks like there''ll be no new VoodooX drivers.

My V2''s days of capatability (and usefullness) are at an end I fear (never mind you orginal Voodoo )

Ro_Akira

TwoFlower:

Yea, A List of cards with compatible drivers would be useful. I just wonder if anyone would be willing to do such a thing...

Ro_Akira:

I guess it''s time to open up my wallet, and buy a new card, that is DX8 compatible. Oh well...

I guess I''ll stick with trying to figure out the DX8 2D implementation, and work from there. (heh... by the time I figure it out, I''ll have the new card)

Thanx for all the replies

Rook

Ro_Akira:

Are you sure it''s DX8 compatable, does MW4 (whatever that is) actually use the new DX8 stuff? I can run DX7 stuff using the old HAL fine, but DX8 only gives me a reference driver to use which is waaaaaaaaaaaay slow.

Rook:

Truth be told, I''d buy a whole new computer. Sadly, when I open my wallet, I find it empty. Awww...

TwoFlower:

Well, the requirements state that it needs DX8. As far as I know (and i could be wrong), once an app is compiled to use a version of DX, it needs at least that version (or if it is possible, I doubt the guys who made MW4 would bother with the extra effort).
On a side note, it''s just the DX8 run-times I have BTW, I''m still using the DX7 SDK. Partly because it takes ages to download the DX8 SDK.

Ro_Akira

Just as we''re all VX people here, I thought maybe you could help with this (from another post, by me):

I''ve determined that my vid cards use this format in 16-bit:

Card:.......First Byte/Second Byte
S3 VirgeGX:..XGG BBBBB/RRRRR GGG
Voodoo2:.....GGG BBBBB/RRRRR GGG

Now, I believe these are BGR cards (the S3 seems to be, in 24-bit anyway. And somebody mentioned in another post of mine, that the Banshee was BGR(which is a derivative of the V2?)). But I thought BGR would be something like:

BBBBB GGG/GGG RRRRR.

Am I missing something here? Is there anywhere where you can get this information like this on video cards (I''ve tried manufacturer websites), preferably online?

Ro_Akira

I would say BGR is in that order, but it depends on how you look at the bytes. I seem to remember it being RGB on my card, but it''s been a long time since I played with that stuff. But why do you need to know anyway? Is it just for curiosity, or are you going to use it in an implementation, because I wouldn''t hard code my program to use any specific set up, i''d get it from the DirectX surface caps. They give a mask of which bits refer to red, green and blue IIRC.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!