• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
rogerdv

online resources

This topic is 4505 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Im looking for some references for basic math required to create a simple 3rd person view engine. Preferably, oriented to game programming, so I dont have to adapt the coordinate system to right handed coordinate system and re-think all formulas again.

Advertisement
Quote:
Original post by rogerdv
Preferably, oriented to game programming, so I dont have to adapt the coordinate system to right handed coordinate system and re-think all formulas again.
Hm, what do you mean by this? It sounds like you're saying that 'game programming is left-handed'...?

In any case, I'm guessing from your post that you're interested in working with D3D rather than OpenGL. I don't know about online references, but there's a book called '3D Game Engine Programming' that takes you through the steps of developing a basic FPS engine with DirectX. Also, '3D Math Primer' is a great introductory game math text which also happens to use DirectX conventions for its examples (left-handed, row vectors, reverse quat multiplication).

I'll also say though that handedness doesn't make that much difference in terms of the algorithms you'll be using; once you gain an understanding of the issue, it's not too big of a problem to switch back and forth.

No, Im using open gl. But I saw a site where the coordinate system didnt matched exactly Open GL system.
And i cant buy books, or surely I would have the 3d math primer in my hands since a long time ago.

Weird, I must have misread 'left' for 'right' in your original post :-| Ok, forget everything I said above...

I'm not sure if there's a really comprehensive online resource for what you're talking about (could be wrong though); you might have to pull the info you need from various sources. Nehe I think can get you through the basics, perhaps even to loading a simple world and moving around in it. There are also some simple Q3-loader/viewer tutorials online, but I'm not sure if they're OpenGL or D3D.

For the math, you could start with articles here on gdnet, and perhaps check out the 'matrix and quaternion faq'. Beyond that, a google for any of these topics will turn up countless online references, but as I just mentioned in another thread, watch out for inaccurate (or simply incorrect) information.

Someone else might know of a more all-in-one solution, though...

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!