Taskbar Buttons - Hiding

Started by
10 comments, last by Fourty_Two 18 years, 3 months ago
I know its possible to get a handle to the taskbar and hide it with ShowWindow(), but is it possible to remove individual window buttons from the task bar? The reason I ask is there are certain applications that I have open ALL the time (Outlook, bash console, etc) and I don't need them or want them taking up taskbar space. I would still like them to show up on ALT+TAB if possible. If someone could point me in the right direction, or if you know of an application that can do this, I'd greatly appreciate it.
Advertisement
I used to use this app pretty heavily in the Win98 days. It was handy... and then I discovered dual monitors [wink]

That article should give you a fairly good idea of what to do, if the app itself doesn't cut it. IIRC the source is available if you want to tweak it up a bit.

Wielder of the Sacred Wands
[Work - ArenaNet] [Epoch Language] [Scribblings]

MS specifically designed Windows so that you did NOT have access to the window buttons on the taskbar.
As far as I know, if you'd set the target window's style to WS_EX_TOOLWINDOW (correct me if I'm wrong), the application's taskbar entry should be removed, however this should also remove it from the {Alt + Tab} window.

Though I'm sure it's quite possible, because in C# you have "ShowInTaskbar" which, when set to false, removes the window's taskbar entry but keeps the application in the {Alt + Tab} window.
Quote:Original post by Colin Jeanne
MS specifically designed Windows so that you did NOT have access to the window buttons on the taskbar.

You are mostly correct but with a bit of hacking such as taking these windows' handle then ShowWindow (), they won't show up anymore.

You may take a look at WinSpy to find out the way they handily search for a window handle, source code included.
--> The great thing about Object Oriented code is that it can make small, simple problems look like large, complex ones <--
That may be, but I consider that to be bad programming since you are trying to do something you're not supposed to be doing. In newer (or even older) versions of Windows the method you use might not work.
Right, it is a hack eventually.

To the OP: I've found Object Desktop utilities of Stardock might fit your need, take a look at them.
--> The great thing about Object Oriented code is that it can make small, simple problems look like large, complex ones <--
check XNeat, the send to tray functionality, it does what you want.
xee..
I use ShowWindow(ApplicationHandle,SW_HIDE); to hide the application's button, I guess that if you enumerate the running applications, you could do the same for those ?

(*if* you'd want to do it yourself)
huraay!
That would also hide it from the {Alt + Tab} manager, wouldn't it? :\

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement