• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
EnochDagor

Opinions on Clouds

This topic is 4629 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Ok, I want to render clouds... The clouds need to look good from a distance and still allow me to see sprites and stuff inside them, but also look like I'm *IN* a cloud while inside them looking out. Almost like a block of Fog or something... *shrug* What is your opinion of the best approach?

Advertisement
You can do volume-based fog using shaders.

Render begin and end range of fog as two pieces of geometry; subtract the "near" from the "far" to see how much fog you're in. This is similar to stencil shadows in a way.

DonnieDarko: while nice, I believe it would be overkill for the particular situation.

hplus0603: All of the Volume-Based fog that I've seen has been using OpenGL which I am unfamiliar with. Do you have a link to an example of a DirectX9 example? Ideally, I want to fill an invisible box with 'fog' in this situation. But I don't want to be limited to a box... I want to able to mold it into a large bulb if you will.

EDIT: Oh and one more thing. The clouds do not need to change shape. They are, in fact, static... afterall, they are clouds of dust stuck in a vacuum. :)

-E

There's a PDF out on the net from a developer that helped develop the clouds for MS Flight Sim which looks pretty good. I couldn't find it quickly but I'll try and find it this weekend (I have the PDF saved) if you cannot locate it and want it, send me a PM.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!