Sign in to follow this  

Polycounts for character models

This topic is 4378 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi guys, I'm trying to get my 3D engine displaying large numbers of characters on the screen. From what I can tell, my engine can push about 50000 triangles per frame at 60 fps. Right now I'm using Quake 3 models, which average 1000-1500 triangles each. With level geometry, I can get about 20 characters on screen, which is pretty reasonable. Does anyone know what kind of polycounts modern games have for their characters? For instance games like WoW or Halo, where there are often quite a few characters on the screen. -Thomas

I'm not sure about WoW or Halo, but I think Half-Life 2 did somewhere near 3000 per character (just guessing from what I remember here).

Just out of curiosity, is vertical syncing enabled?

The number of polys alone is not the most important factor. I think the handling of character animations, textures and shaders on the character have more of an impact than the number of polys.

Regards,
/Omid

This topic is 4378 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.