• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
CadeF

Lighting & shadowing techniques

This topic is 4653 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey everyone. In your current projects, what techniques do you use for lighting & shadowing? In my current engine, which is a week old, I use N.L lighting (currently implementing bumpmapping) and indirect shadow mapping. Yes, those shadows are realtime. The FPS is between 80 and 85 with vsync, 150-200 with 2 lights without vsync. ;) I'm asking, because Im curious about other methods I could use and what method I should use for lighting. Thanks, Cade

Advertisement
Generally people do whatever and their aren't really set rules but there are shadow volumes, shadow maps... and lighting models are generally also just as diverse. I generally use N.L and per pixel lighting as it gives a greater lighting effect.
Look at this page for a list of shadow rendering techniques.

I hope this helps.
Take care.

this PDF is a summary of 5 lighting models that I've been researching for a project of mine. You can get some very impressive results simply by getting the right model for the right kind of surface. Regular N•L / Blinn-Phong variants can end up looking very fake/plastic-like - the wood in your image just doesn't look like wood to me [wink]

hth
Jack

When I took the picture, yesterday, I only had shadows implemented, the lighting was N dot L. Now, it has bumpmapping and parallax mapping. Right now, I am working on specular. :)

@JollyJeffers: Interesting PDF you got there :) Could you provide me / us with some comparison screen-shots of the different lighting models or tell me / us some guide-lines which model to use for which occasion (e.g. to make a wood textures quad look like wood and so on)?
Would be great in order to decide which model to use for which occasion.

For different materials, I will use a custom (for the material,eg,wood,stone) HLSL shader. I have a material system in place, but right now, it only contains the base texture and the bump map(with the heightmap in the alpha channel).

Currently, my lighting pass does
-Texture mapping
-Diffuse lighting (with specular applied using the bump map)
-Bump mapping
-Self shadowing bump maps
-Displacement (parallax) mapping

What else should I do?

Quote:
Original post by matches81
@JollyJeffers: Interesting PDF you got there :) Could you provide me / us with some comparison screen-shots of the different lighting models or tell me / us some guide-lines which model to use for which occasion (e.g. to make a wood textures quad look like wood and so on)?
Would be great in order to decide which model to use for which occasion.

It's still work in progress, but as-and-when I get some results I'll probably be posting them in my journal [smile]

Although, I will warn you that the PDF is likely to change sometime soon. Ysaneya pointed a few differences between the equations I have and some he found. I put together mine from various different sources - and they don't all agree [headshake]

Jack

That's a great resource! I'm gonna memorize it like the back of my hand. Thanks to Armadon and jollyjeffers for the great links. Maybe this should be stickied?

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!