Check out my first game

Started by
14 comments, last by Takaloy 18 years, 3 months ago
I just got to a point where my first ever game is somewhat playable. I know most of you guys could put this game together in no time but it took a alot of effort for me. Anyways the game is a pong clone which alows the player and computer to use 2 paddles each. It also has support for multiple balls. Its not quite complete yet, I still have to add in score, lives, and increasing dificulty but Id say the hard part is over. You can download the .exe and the source code from one of my old websites: mech.buildtolearn.net/Pong.zip . I commented most of my code so everyone can understand it. I made it in devc++, but I hope it will compile on any compiler. Everyone tell me what you think of my code. I think it runs kinda slower than it should, but mabey its just my computer. Any suggestions for the code or the game is welcome
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. – Leonardo da Vinci
Advertisement
Congrates on finishing your game! It feels good to finish a project, more then ever your first project. I tried to run the .exe but it gave me some error (sdlgfx.dll was not found), I guess I need to have the SDL lib on my computer to play your game. Oh one last thing, cool menu art, and I would look at your code but I don't know SDL, only Win32.
If you used sdl, you just need to put the .dll file its looking for in the folder the executable is in and other people who don't have sdl should have no problem running the program.

congrats on your acheivement :)
______________________TradeMark Designs
Put the sdlgfx.dll in there too. I wasn't able to play it due to this, and I don't feel like going and getting it. I'll play it once you include it with the game.
Here is a link to get the sdlgfx.dll.

I find that when the ball hits the side of the paddle, it gets stuck inside the paddle and is catapulted in the wrong direction shortly thereafter. This happens in my work-in-progress pong clone as well.

Also, it would be nice if you can make the paddles different colors. The menu system needs to be fixed. Take a look at aedGUI.

Keep up the good work!
I finaly uploaded the DLLs incase anyone is interested. Sory it took so long, there was something wrong with my web host.
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. – Leonardo da Vinci
Nice work, I like it.

I don't think it's a good idea to have all your classes and class function definitions in the same include file though.
4 way pong! Very cool. I wasn't sure what you meant when you said 'support for 2 paddles'. I'd love to see what multiple balls would be like. Lots of fun to play. I did notice that the ball gets stuck sometimes, but that's no big deal. Can't wait for the next version!
Great but your ai is too good. Or maybe im just horrible at this game. This was way better then my first game. Good job.
game was really interesting, i love the two paddle concept. good thinking there! i'd suggest putting lives in there somehow though, running a timer and trying to beat a score of how long you survived, and maybe a little delay before the ball starts moving after you miss... my paddle was on the other side of the screen and by the time i realized i missed, the ball was almost off the screen again. implementing sounds can really help with this.

[edit]
i agree with CodeTitan, your help screen doesn't show, and the other guy, you're AI looks like it just looks at the ball's x and y coordinates and moves to that location, not really fair ya know?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement