Really nerdy C++ question

Started by
13 comments, last by nmi 18 years, 3 months ago
Quote:About compilers; there used to be a reverse function where you could translate the assembly language back into source code, is that still so? In C++ can you run a debug routine without compiling it first? Can you encrypt your final compiled version? Thanks for taking the time!

There are tools that can disassemble programs and give you C code (or some other language) however the output is not going to be like the original source. There may have been a compiler that could take an object file which had debugging info or something embedded in it that had been compiled earlier by the same version and then give you back full source code but that's not a common feature.

What do you mean by a debug routine? To run C++ code you need to compile it first (well you could have a C++ interpreter but generally you're going to be compiling it). You can encrypt your final EXE if you really want, you'd need to have some unencrypted code at the beginning that unencrypts everything else and loads it into memory and starts executing, I don't really see the point though.
Advertisement
Quote:
Visual C++ 2005.Net - which is free, but a BETA version which will stop working eventually. It comes equipped with an IDE though.

and
Quote:
Visual C++ 2005.Net BETA - which is a free IDE, but a BETA version which will stop working eventually. Comes with the VC++ 2005.NET compiler and debugger.

This is a little outdated. The FINAL version of VS 2005 has been released in November. The Express edition is free and available for download (see my post above).

My project`s facebook page is “DreamLand Page”

My bad, corrected. [smile]
Wow! I feel like I just tried to get a drink of water from a fire hydrant! Many thanks for the links and the BS minimalization. It makes sense to pick up a freeby for learning purposes...well, as long as the language and interface somewhat resembles what you will eventually work with. Maya burned me on that although they may straighten up being with autodesk now...maybe. At any rate I'm sure I'll have more questions in a week..or so. :D Many, MANY thanks for your time and help!
Let me add Eclipse+CDT to the IDEs. It can use Gcc (for Linux) and MinGW (for Windows).

And not to forget, it's free.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement