• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Takaloy

How impossible is a 3d M-G? for a single programmer

This topic is 4653 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

hi, I'm currently in my 2nd year of my degree and I am flattering myself to go with a implementation type final year project. I think a 3D game will the best way to go, as some suggested that doing anything 3D these days will never hurt you. There is alot of breath and almost too much depth in a game, where you have treading, openGL, collision detections, tree structures etc.. to improve my amateur skills and will be a good project to stick it on my CV. And I thought it'd be cool to design something that works across the network, not nessesary internet but a simple LAN-game-type-thing. It'd do good for my CV, by adding networking aspect of my project on it. or rather something that would give me a great chance of getting a spot in the research scholarships (for masters) in UK. Do you guys think it's possible to do all of this in 1 year's uni term?

Advertisement
im on my 2nd year n thinking about making a game for my final project as well. Its a simple 3d turn-base strategy Advance wars type of game. I already have a outline design of the game done. But I am not sure if multiplayer would b too ambious, consider i will have to pass other modules as well :S

Quote:
Original post by superpig
A networked 3D shooter or something? Sure, perfectly doable in a year.

aye, or probably something RPGish (concept's the same, something with a 3D, have interactive characters, etc..).

For a final year uni project you might find it better to have a more focused goal than just a '3d game'.

- Lecturers are usually very focused, and won't really comprehend the sheer volume of work that it takes to do a full game and all it's subcomponents
- To get anything of sufficiant quality/completeness done you'll want to use a decent chunck of libraries for the lower level stuff. This confuses lecturers even more over which bits you did and which you didn't
- Better defined project goals and targets make it much easier to say "I aimed to do this and succeeded"

You might want to pick something like networking methods, or terrain rendering techniques and go for something less broad but where you can try multiple different styles and compare them.

Good luck!

Quote:

You think?
How much time and how many people worked on battlefield 1942 for example

Quote:
Original post by The C modest god
Quote:

You think?

He said a *networked 3D shooter*, not the Battlefield 2 or whatever. You'd think would learn to read before programming...

Quote:
Original post by Outworlder
Quote:
Original post by The C modest god
Quote:

You think?

He said a *networked 3D shooter*, not the Battlefield 2 or whatever. You'd think would learn to read before programming...

He asked another separate question. He did not ask if it would take him a year to make BF2 alone.

You should learn to read. You should also be less of a dick.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!