How impossible is a 3d M-G? for a single programmer

Started by
25 comments, last by Afr0m@n 18 years, 2 months ago
Hi,
Why don't you try something easy that can be networked. Like the original Gauntlet games but each player networked. Add some 3d instead of the original 2d tiles and you are ready.

Luck!
Guimo
Advertisement
OGRE is merely a Graphics Engine and no Game Engine, meaning you'll need to add some extra stuff to it (sound for example).

Torque can be found at GarageGames

Regards,
/Omid
Best regards, Omid
I do not know how skilled you are with programming, But, I started programming when I was a freshman in college. With only 2 years of Computer Science under my belt there was a lot I was missing to accomplish what you had in mind to do. The internet was just in its early childhood, at least it was not totally in it's infancy, so googling for answers was not very helpful.

My first project I wanted to do was a RTS game similar to StarCraft. But one of the requirements was that I wanted it to be 100% my own code so I did not have to worry about licenses using 3rd party code. I would work on it a little until I found a spot that I did not know how to do, so I started another smaller project that I also wanted to do and go back to the RTS when I gained more knowledge about what I was stuck on. I scheduled the next CS class which was OOP, Wow. OOP is heck of a lot better than the programming style I was using. So I scrapped the project and started over again using OOP. As I scheduled more classes in AI, Networking, a simulation class, etc. in my Junior and Senior years, I was able to try to apply those to my RTS. Since AI was fairly much an intro course, I needed to obtain a little bit more knowledge for that RTS.

So I was stuck once again. So I started another project and another and another, until I found the needed resources to learn from. Now, many years has past and 3D graphics have caught on... So making that RTS project using open GL is the way I am heading now. Because my artistic abilty in graphics stinks, at least with 3D I can kind of get away with it. So I need to learn more about Open GL. I have models that I am rendering on screen and so forth but there are many aspects I need to work on. But now I have other responsibilities and the RTS is taking a back seat most of the time.

I even considered making it a MMORPG a few years back. But I said that is way too much work and I would need a supercomputer for the server to handle all of that and at the time broadband was not catching on and dialup was around 14.4 or 28.8kbps. But I thought wouldn't it be nice to have a MMORPG/RTS where each player was controling a different military vechicle and a party / guild / raid could communicate to each other to perform strikes on different targets or even other parties / guild's / faction's military bases leveling their units and gaining more armor plating, better weapons, etc as they level.
I would do something specific instead of the whole 3D game thing. Something innovative that makes our lives easier or more exciting. It could be something simple as designing a gfx algo/data struct or a neat gfx technique.
Takaloy if I were you I'd write a kernel or a compiler or something. Something that would show off your skills without neccessarily requiring you to make tons of art. If you want a decent bootloader for a kernel, you can just use Grub. It's not really difficult to make a bootloader though, which is about the only part that needs to be done in ASM. What you do is basically;

1. Load the bootloader into BIOS memory.
2. Make the bootloader call your initialization function in C.
3. Write in C...
_______________________Afr0Games
all great ideas so far. Thanks. I think Kernel would be a good idea, if I don't have to mess with the load of graphics stuff - but I have no idea about kernels. care to explain more indepth what they are, their functions and how exactly do they run/operate?
You'll find all the information you need about that here.
_______________________Afr0Games

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement