Beginner question about Sprites

Started by
1 comment, last by Razorguts 18 years, 3 months ago
I'm not a 3-D artist, nor a sprite artist. But in my spare time, I've been reading, learning, etc., to improve my communication with the artists... Regarding sprites, my impression has always been that a prerequisite for a 2-D image to be a "sprite" (by definition), the image must always be perpendicular to the camera axis. (I'm reminded of the animations and static dead bodies in the original "Doom".) However, using sprites as billboards seems to violate this prerequisite. For example, using sprite decals for bullet holes on a wall - the holes, while allegedly sprites, will not always be perpendicular to the camera. Is my interpretation incorrect? Thanks in advance for any comments. Regards
AB HarrisEngineer, RG Studios
Advertisement
Definition of a sprite:
Quote:A graphic character, sometimes called a blit, stored as a two-dimensional bitmap.
Sprites can be animated, rotated, scaled, and sheared. In 3-D games, mainly used for status bars, icons, and other items that need not necessarily be 3-D.

A sprite does definately not have to be perpendicular to the camera. My interpretation of a sprite is a 2D graphical object that is placed within an application of some form. This can be anything from characters to in-game items to bullet holes (decals).
Thanks for the clarification, UndeadInsanity. Yes, just following some of the other threads on sprite creation, etc., and seeing some of the work from those threads, I figured they weren't confined to orthogonal views and camera axes.

Thanks again,
AB HarrisEngineer, RG Studios

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement