• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
ccc123

progress milestones in a contract?

This topic is 4561 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Does anybody know what are the usual milestones (necessary to keep track of the game development progress) that should be mentioned in a contract between a contractor and a developer? I am particularly interested in the case of a casual game. Thanks.

Advertisement
Quote:
Original post by ccc123
Does anybody know what are the usual milestones (necessary to keep track of the game development progress) that should be mentioned in a contract between a contractor and a developer? I am particularly interested in the case of a casual game.

Thanks.

It varies. For publisher contracts, generally you will see at least these:

* Signature of Letter of Intent
* Signature of Contract
* ... game specific stuff ...
* Receipt of Gold Master
* Release of Product

A sub-contractor's contract will probably be similar, since they are the developer and you are basically in the role of publisher.

For filling out the game specific stuff, you might enjoy these sources:

Gamasutra article about making more flexible milestones
IGDA article about what to expect in contracts
GDC 2005 had some sessions about milestones: making your ideal, negotiating them, and getting paid for them. They were more focused on negotiations between studios and publishers. You might have to do some searching for people's notes, or go to the conference's proceedings page and order them.

An agreement between a developer and a sub-contracted developer (which I think you are asking about) is going to be different.

As always, talk to a lawyer. Yes, people complain about them, but that's just plain stupid.

It's a contract.
Contracts are legally binding.
Bad contracts can cost a lot of money and ruin a business.
Good contracts can give you (or save you) a lot of money.
A few hours having a lawyer review editions of the contract is a wise investment.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!