• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

What compiler to use for DirectX

This topic is 4477 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

All I want to do is find a compiler that I can use to start learning DirectX, I have Dev-C++ and I keep getting "undefined reference 'to _except_list'" when I use the d3dx9 library, so I tryed Visual C++ Express Edition because everyone was saying that you should just get that and everything would work fine, but now I have an error "fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'windows.h': No such file or directory" and I try to add it into the include folder and I just get an error saying that it can't open a different one and it just keeps going. Is there any easy way of fixing either of these two problems, or is there a free compiler that can use DirectX without any problems?

Advertisement
haha after this post (see bottom), I would go 2003.

It is very likely I had a compiler setting checked called, 'add 4 hrs to project'.

In my experience, 2003 is more reliable with publications and articles and frankly more in sync with my own qualms about what my compiler should do - to say it is more familiar with settings that might be tucked away.
=P 2c.

I use dev c++ and had trouble getting started but once i did get it set up it works a treat. The undefined reference is what i had when starting if you choose dev c++ ill be happy to help you set it up.

ahhh, it's so nice to finally see that pathetic little triangle show up on the screen and not have a bunch of random errors. I'm using VC++ to do it, thanks for all your help.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement