• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
dpoon

OpenGL New demo/tutorial to fake rendering to the Desktop with Direct3D.

This topic is 4656 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi all, Has anyone ever seen screenshots or demos of scenes that appear to be rendered in full 3D but to the Windows desktop? I saw one a while ago over in the opengl.org forums (it was of a cube made up of a series of translucent balls) and more recently in an image of the day posting on GameDev (was of a translucent teapot). After some research on the Win32 layered windows API and Direct3D's render to texture APIs I wrote this demo showing how it can be done. I'm hoping that this might assist those who are trying to implement the same effect.

Advertisement
Nice demo [smile]. However, the rendering goes on-top of the desktop itself, so you can't use this method for 3D-desktop-background-type-thingies. Those either use ActiveX controls embedded into webpages and set as backgrounds using ActiveDesktop, DirectDraw overlays, or something else that I don't know about [smile]

Thanks Muhammad. I realized very early on when writing the demo that things would get too complex if i did true rendering to the desktop like you mentioned.

Creating a window with the WS_EX_NOATIVATE extended windows style will prevent the application from appearing on the task bar. Then you could have something like a 3D Word paper clip or something :)

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!