• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Hierarchial Animation Data Resource Loading

This topic is 4384 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi All, I have a file, which contains hierarchial mesh and animation data. At the moment each bone's mesh (it's a seperated mesh) and animation data is held in it's own buffer attached to the individual bone object, which has child bone objects. I was thinking to load all the vertex information into one buffer, and all the index information into another buffer, and do the same with the animation data. Then I would have the individual bone objects have a start index into the buffer for their own data. Does this make sense? Is this the most efficient way of doing it? How do other engine implementations work? Thanks

Advertisement
Since you're talking about bones, I assume you mean skeletal animation?

You could do it that way, but, letting you know that I've only really started with skeletal animation myself, I've found that in milkshape files, some of the joints/bones can have a different number of animation keyframes. So, you can put all animation data into a single buffer, but you'll need to have the bones keep track of how many keyframes they have themselves.

Also, ask yourself when you'll need the animation data? Will you need it in a situation that warrants keeping it in a seperate buffer? If you can think of a benefit to it being seperate, go for it, otherwise, why change what already works? ( or you are working to make work? )

Quote:
Original post by Endar
Also, ask yourself when you'll need the animation data? Will you need it in a situation that warrants keeping it in a seperate buffer? If you can think of a benefit to it being seperate, go for it, otherwise, why change what already works? ( or you are working to make work? )

The main reason I am thinking to keep it in one buffer is for resource loading and unloading. When I run out of room in my resource cache and need to unload something, if I unload part of a model instead of an entire model, then that means I still have to traverse the whole file again when I need to load in just that part of the model. Seems it would be more efficient to be able to unload the entire model that way I can free more space in one go, and it will only traverse the file once to load in the entire model?

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement