starting to code games

Started by
0 comments, last by flame_warrior 23 years, 3 months ago
Hi, Recently, well just 1 month ago I started to read about game programming. Well I was thinking of first coding a game. Well I was thinking big at that time, but someone suggested to me that first lets build up on the first level and then move on to advanced techniques or should I jump into openGL directly ? Well, first of all I am very comfortable with c/c++. Secondly at present I was thinking of using dos as platform, later on go ahead to windows and linux or should I go on make tetris and breakout first. I would like all your suggestion on this. Thank you.
Hello from my world
Advertisement
Well making a tetris or breakout clone is actually a very good thing to start with. You don''t have to finish it but when you feel like you have the grip of it you can go on. I started with am RTS Game for dos but I never finished it then I made a tetris clone with DirectDraw and now I''m trying to put an OpenGL FPS together... maybe it''s a too big step to go from tetris to quake but I belive in learning the hard way . Anyway if you are into C/C++ you might just as well go straight into dx or opengl. The most important thing to know is the language the API is usually kinda easy to learn. And when DirectX 8.0 is out I can''t say that OpenGL is easier but I can still say that Direct3D doesn''t get along with my Riva 128(wow!) and Win2k =)

/Damage Inc.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement