• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is there any future for Java 3D(TM)?

This topic is 6335 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I''m making a space shooter (which you can review at http://diegoeustachio.8k.com/Games/MartianKiller.html) in Java™ using Java 3D™. My question is: Is there any future for Java 3D™? It''s a great API, infinitely easier to use than DirectX and OpenGL, and it takes advantage of most of Java™ features such as object orientation and multithreading. In the other hand, it needs to be downloaded separately (since no one browser includes it) and it''s not widely available on all platforms. Is Java 3D™ the 3D API of the future or just another useful toy? Thanks in advance!

Advertisement
Hallo!
The answer is: maybee. Since you can use Java on multiple platforms not just in Windows. And that''s a good thing..

Daniel Westerstål
Sigma Entertainment
http://sigmaent.cjb.net

OpenGL and more specifically,GLUT is multiplatform too. And they''re easy to program. And on my PC, they''re way faster than Java3D (don''t know about other computers...)

Not in it''s current form. It doesn''t take advantage of hardware acceleration, texture mapping will slow the game to less than 1 fps etc. However, in the future, it is quite possible that Java 3D may be a universally considered API. However, not right now.

Just because you''re outnumbered doesn''t mean you''re wrong.

sharewaregames.20m.com

It doesn''t take advantage of t&l but to say it doesn''t take advantage of hardware acceleration is not entirely correct. Java3D was designed for industrial visualization and $10k workstations so don''t expect to much on the average game pc any time soon.

The fanatic is incorruptible: if he kills for an idea, he can just as well get himself killed for one; in either case, tyrant or martyr, he is a monster.
--EM Cioran

Opere Citato

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!