Im wanting to start C#

Started by
10 comments, last by DinGY 18 years, 2 months ago
HEllo all, I want to learn C# as a programming language for games! Not only for games, but alot of other things~ The thing is, i need some resources/compilers for C#^^ Does anyone got any to share? I appreciate the help so much!
Advertisement
Compiler:

Microsoft Visual C# 2005 Express Edition

Resources:

Web sites(General)-
GDNet
The Code Project
MSDN(though unless you're familiar with MSDN, it might be a little hard to muddle through at first)

Also look in the FAQ for the DirectX forum for links to Managed DirectX C# websites.

Books-
Managed DirectX 9 Graphics and Game Programming Kickstart by Tom Miller
The C# Programming Language by Anders Hejlsberg, Scott Wiltamuth, and Peter Gold
I don't have it, but Windows Forms Programming in C#(I don't think that's the exact title) is probably very good.
And there's a few books out there that cover ASP.NET with C# if you're looking to get into web development.

Hope that gets you started. Good luck to you.

-AJ
V/R,-AJThere are 10 kinds of people in the world: Those who understand binary and those who don't...
You should most definately check out the .NET Forums here on GameDev [wink].

Some libraries that you might be interested in are the Tao Framework (OpenGL for the .NET Framework), and SDL.NET (object oriented SDL for .NET).
Rob Loach [Website] [Projects] [Contact]
Definitely just get Visual C# 2005 express, it's free and it's a full professional development environment. The pro and enterprice versions have some extra stuff that you probably won't need.

Although sdl.net and other frameworks might be nice, I'd suggest starting with just standard C#, there's so much you can do with it already. Just google around for tutorials and sample source, you first need to get a feel for how it works, the object oriented approach.

C# is a great productive language, it's easier than others to work with, so you make less mistakes and get things done more quickly.
Well, the above suggestions should be enough to get your started. You also might want to get yourself the book "C# Unleashed" by Joseph Mayo, ISBN 0-672-32122-x. It may be a bit outdated since it doesn't cover .NET2.0, but it provides a very thorough overview of C# and the .NET libraries.

Edit: and of course don't forget our site if you want to get into Managed DirectX programming [wink]
Rim van Wersch [ MDXInfo ] [ XNAInfo ] [ YouTube ] - Do yourself a favor and bookmark this excellent free online D3D/shader book!
Here is a link for the ecma C# language specification. It's free!!!!! (by "free" I mean it will take several weeks to get to you but it's still FREE!!!) [SMILE]
F-R-E-D F-R-E-D-B-U-R...G-E-R! - Yes!
Quote:Original post by DigiDude
Here is a link for the ecma C# language specification. It's free!!!!! (by "free" I mean it will take several weeks to get to you but it's still FREE!!!) [SMILE]

Its right there in PDF format...
www.aidanwalsh(.net)(.info)
free, take a few weeks to get to me? like a real book? where do i order it?
I found this link via digg a couple of days ago, Top Ten .NET/C# links. I can't vouch for it's validity though.
Quote:Original post by aidan_walsh
Quote:Original post by DigiDude

Its right there in PDF format...

Yeah, but I'm sure there are others out there that, like me, prefer to read a hard copy than stare at a screen all day. Also, I have dial-up.
F-R-E-D F-R-E-D-B-U-R...G-E-R! - Yes!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement