Very Silly Question

Started by
8 comments, last by Vopisk 18 years, 2 months ago
I feel slow lol, but I just bought C++ Primer and I can't even get my first program to run. #include <iostream> int main() { std::cout << "Enter 2 Numbers:" << std::end1; int v1, v2; std::cin >> v1 >> v2; std::cout << "The sum of " << v1 << " and " << v2 << " is " << v1+v2 << std::end1; return 0; } When I try to compile it gives me the error : `end1' undeclared in namespace `std' Can someone quickly tell me whats wrong lol?
Advertisement
It's 'endl', as in endline.
That is not end1 it is endl
It stands for (End) (L)ine

Hope this helps
drew
This probably doesn't really help, but you can also replace std::endl with the newline character, "\n", as in:

std::cout << "The sum of " << v1 << " and " << v2 << " is " << v1+v2 << "\n";

This is more useful when you're outputting a constant string and don't want to tack on the endl at the end, like this:

std::cout << "My birthday was five days ago!  Hooray!\n";

Just for future reference ;)
my siteGenius is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration
Quote:Original post by silverphyre673
This probably doesn't really help, but you can also replace std::endl with the newline character, "\n", as in:

std::cout << "The sum of " << v1 << " and " << v2 << " is " << v1+v2 << "\n";

This is more useful when you're outputting a constant string and don't want to tack on the endl at the end, like this:

std::cout << "My birthday was five days ago!  Hooray!\n";

Just for future reference ;)

But endl flushes the buffer! :) But all kidding aside, if for whatever reason you don't want to flush the buffer right then and there, the "/n" escape character can be good for formatting text and whatnot in text-based applications, which most if not all of your early programs will be.

Example:
#include <iostream>using namespace std;int main(){    cout << "*****\n" << "*   *\n" << "* * *\n"          << "*   *\n" << "*****\n" << endl;    /* Or as one big long string if you prefer... */    cout << "*****\n*   *\n* * *\n*   *\n*****\n" << endl;    cin.get();    return 0;}
Quote:
But endl flushes the buffer! :) But all kidding aside, if for whatever reason you don't want to flush the buffer right then and there, the "/n" escape character can be good for formatting text and whatnot in text-based applications, which most if not all of your early programs will be.

Well, yes, but that isn't exactly a common problem :) However, if you do use newline characters like I suggested, and your text is not displaying for some reason, you can do this:

std::cout << std::flush;

To force the text to display - the above statement won't cause any additional text to be displayed.
my siteGenius is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration
Ah new it was something easy like that... darn courier text..
You know - there's a book out there where they anticipated this problem, and replaced the l with a script l in a special font, to make sure it couldn't possibly be mistaken for a 1.

And, I swear I am not making this up, we have had at least one person post here asking, basically, "How do you type that funny script l character?".

You just can't win :)
(Since the thread is already answered I hope it's ok to go off-topic)

Quote:Original post by Zahlman
And, I swear I am not making this up, we have had at least one person post here asking, basically, "How do you type that funny script l character?".

I followed a tutorial once where they used the > character to show the cursor, of so I couldn't understand how to get the code to work.

Quote:
You just can't win :)

Source code on CD (book), or in a zip(/rar/tar.gz etc.) file (Internet tutorial)
Or, in a perhaps more ideal situation, you could just use a font that actually has clear definition between any and all characters. I picked up on proFontWin a while ago and use it for just about everything (except for Dev-C++ because it's technically not monospaced). It was designed to be easily read at small sizes and has hashes through zeros and a clear distinction between l and 1, which most other fonts, even the san serif ones, do not.

[/continuing off topic]

Vopisk

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement