Sign in to follow this  

[java] 3D in applet for e-commerce

This topic is 4333 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi dudes! I have an issue to solve at my job now. Our customer sells (new) cars, and he will provide us detailed models of his cars. He wants us to develop, for his website, an applet (or anything else, if possible) to display the model and allow the user to rotate the car around. Easy, simple. However, I would require feedback from you about which technology to use: the old Java3D (seems slow to me)? An OpenGL binding with an applet? Any feedback on how YOU would implement this would be highly appreciated. Thanks in advance, friends! Son Of Cain

Ok, so I shall consider JOGL.

I have a question though, pertinent to any binding I might choose: what will the client have to download in order to use the app? is the necessary content (reaqd: .dll) downloaded by the applet launcher on the client, when running the applet?

Son Of Cain

Being an e-commerce application, an important thing is that customers must not go through a hassle in order to visualize the content in their browsers; So, I ask - Is VRML interpreted by the most common browsers by default, or should the user download some type of "runtime environment" in order to see it?

Thanks in advance!

Son Of Cain

Quote:
Original post by Son of Cain
Being an e-commerce application, an important thing is that customers must not go through a hassle in order to visualize the content in their browsers; So, I ask - Is VRML interpreted by the most common browsers by default, or should the user download some type of "runtime environment" in order to see it?

Thanks in advance!

Son Of Cain

VRML needs to download its plugins in order to use it. As you said, it is the disadvantage.

This topic is 4333 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.