[java] 3D in applet for e-commerce

Started by
6 comments, last by wildcolor_ 18 years, 2 months ago
Hi dudes! I have an issue to solve at my job now. Our customer sells (new) cars, and he will provide us detailed models of his cars. He wants us to develop, for his website, an applet (or anything else, if possible) to display the model and allow the user to rotate the car around. Easy, simple. However, I would require feedback from you about which technology to use: the old Java3D (seems slow to me)? An OpenGL binding with an applet? Any feedback on how YOU would implement this would be highly appreciated. Thanks in advance, friends! Son Of Cain
a.k.a javabeats at yahoo.ca
Advertisement
Assuming the target is a current JRE (1.4.2 at the minimum), I would opt for JOGL. The API now incoporates an AppletLauncher which lets you load the native libraries and run in an Applet.
Ok, so I shall consider JOGL.

I have a question though, pertinent to any binding I might choose: what will the client have to download in order to use the app? is the necessary content (reaqd: .dll) downloaded by the applet launcher on the client, when running the applet?

Son Of Cain

The dll's and jar are automatically installed if you use JOGL via an applet or webstart.
"... we should have such an empire for liberty as she has never surveyed since the creation ..."Thomas Jefferson
Ok, thank you very much!

I was hoping to use LWJGL on this, but this behavior from JOGL is a key-point ;)

Thanks again.

Son of Cain
I would suggest you to use VRML as another Choice.
Being an e-commerce application, an important thing is that customers must not go through a hassle in order to visualize the content in their browsers; So, I ask - Is VRML interpreted by the most common browsers by default, or should the user download some type of "runtime environment" in order to see it?

Thanks in advance!

Son Of Cain
Quote:Original post by Son of Cain
Being an e-commerce application, an important thing is that customers must not go through a hassle in order to visualize the content in their browsers; So, I ask - Is VRML interpreted by the most common browsers by default, or should the user download some type of "runtime environment" in order to see it?

Thanks in advance!

Son Of Cain

VRML needs to download its plugins in order to use it. As you said, it is the disadvantage.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement