Sign in to follow this  

Hey all, iam new to forums and programming.

This topic is 4337 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi all, names Torst, but you all can call me TJ :). Iam new to the forums, well for registaring anyway. Been around by looking at threads and such for a couple of weeks here an there looking at programming. Basically, for myself and for couple of mates, we have been into creating games for a long time, we had a couple running on a website but forum based, so we know how to get formulars right in a way :P. Anyway, for quite some time i have been asking myself, forum based games arnt fun, slow and keep constant updating of the site itself and such. I asked myself, seeing i have lets say "NO" coding experiance i decided to embark on a new challenge that i can use to our advantage for many years to come. You see for a long time ive been making graphics and such, but me and my mates always get great ideas that we cant really do without coding (of course those ideas wont become reality in a year or so, small games to big they say.) But yeah, ill get to the point really now, like i said before i personally have no previous coding ability, for me i have tryed once before, but sadly enough i gave up and now i knwo i shouldnt off done that maybe i was too young to know at the time (18 now). But i have let myself down a few times aswell in the past due to well, i always put negative points to myself, flash scripting for instance, tryed that for one of the first kind of coding but didnt get it, maybe i wasnt meant to do coding. So iam back now, eager, and ready for a new adventure, i graduated from highschool, just got myself a new full time job, and i got plenty of free time, so i said to myself this is the time, this is the time where i will embark on this challenge. Now, i have read lots of threads on this board under beginners area, havnt even really tryed the others yet due to i will just get confused. I truly had a big look through all the pages and such, so yeah. Here goes nothing, i will tell you what i need help with (most of you by now, hopfully not, just got bored from reading half my life story and now to actually get to the important part of the thread) The programming language i was thinking to start, been reading lots of threads about it and basically, C++ seems to be the most logical in a way to start to some, and stupid to others, for me, C++ might say easier due to its the most popular and used in most things around in game development and lots of tutorials for beginners like me like from scratch? For C++ language, the compilers. Also been reading abit on them and seemed that it just confused me more, what "free" downloadable program would be best suited for c++? (running Windows XP) The code editor (where you write the code up) i can just use Notepad yes? or is there a easier/better/more-compatible one i can download free? In terms of learning, i was figuring to a) keep on browsing this great website/forums, going into the local lib and see what they have to offer, and even go to the book shops and see what they got to sell in the shops, if not maybe they can order some specific ones, and the net of course. I think thats all i wanted to know for now, i reckon there will be sooo much more for me to say, but ill get the basic stuff i need to get me up and running to get some kind of code going. Thank you for all who have read this long thread to help me out, sorry for the long thread also :). Cheers Regards, TJ.

Most IDEs come with compilers now adays (though, you can always change their settings).

Some free ones I would recommend are:

Dev-CPP
Code::Blocks

I also believe that there is a version of Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 that is free (someone correct me)?

You are definitely on the right track and asking the right questions. As for your language choice, truly that is up to you. There are so many options and so many opinions, it really comes down to how nitty gritty you want to get, and how soon you want to see results, and how seriously you really want to program. Once you have decided that, we may be able to recommend a more suitable language for you than C++. In the meantime, getting your feet wet with C++ is a great idea.

Quote:

There are so many options and so many opinions, it really comes down to how nitty gritty you want to get, and how soon you want to see results, and how seriously you really want to program.

To expand a little. C++ is mostly suited for large projects. It gives you a huge amount of flexibility and it alows you to control the smallest detail of your project. Making a serious game with C++ takes some time though. Other languages (i.e. C#, VB ) restrain your flexibility but you will be able to make something that works significantly faster.
On another note if you plan going beyond the beginner level start thinking at Middleware. Middleware is a generic name for tools used to acomplish something(in this case make a game). They will significantly speed up your game creation.

thx guys! downloading the program now with the extra documentation so i can read, hopfully printable so i can easiler make a small folder for easy acess.

Another thing what was on my mind, first thread i was mentioning that i like making graphics and such, for instance when i go through a tutorial to make a tetris clone or pong clone, there a special program i can use to transfer my graphics to the coding to have them joint, or does the IDE have that also in build with it. Thx!

Regards, TJ.

To make the graphics for your game you can use any image editing program. You will be using bmp's, jpg's and so on so any program that can edit this type of files will do for you.

By the way, just as a habit that will stand you in good stead : Try to be concise, and try to spell things correctly. Programs are much easier to handle when they are small, and compilers do not have a human's built-in capability to ignore typos. Proper spelling is a really excellent habit for a programmer, it will save you many frustrating recompiles. And even when dealing with humans, they will generally respond better to good language, which includes spelling.

A word to the wise is sufficient, they say. Are you wise?

This topic is 4337 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.