Idiot .exe question

Started by
7 comments, last by erissian 18 years, 2 months ago
Ok... I've been studying c++ on and off for about a year. I want to make a text based card game an .exe and then put it on a disk for a friend to play. How do i distibute my game? Do i just save the file as .exe? is there a publish button? I know it's probably obvious and i've actually looked in quite a few books for the answer but... none of them mention making an .exe of your program or how to distribute it. Any help would be nice. Thanks in advance TLD
Advertisement
You should be OK. For a text based game, you should have no problem just running the executable on another computer. As you get into more complex applications, with multiple outside libraries such as DirectX, SDL, etc., you may need to include the distributable files for those specific libraries with your exe. However, for right now, you should be just fine with your .exe file.

-Jeff
Ok. I'll be a little clearer. I dont know how to turn my game into an exe. Is it done automatically?
You mean you've studied C++ for a year, but never compiled and linked your code??
Just use the compile/build/whatever button (preferably setting a release build config) in your IDE and copy-paste the executable created onto a disk or e-mail it.

Or maybe I misunderstand something here?
Do you have a compiler? (MS Visual Studio Express is one for windows)

Once you have a compiler, there are many IDE's available to make the processes of using the compiler easier ( MSVS is a windows one, but there are others )

Most IDE's provide a way to make a project ( holds all your c++ source files ).
From this project, there are options to build/compile the project, thus creating your exe.
If you already compiled it under windows or dos you have an .exe file.
If you tested your game you have compiled it, hope you have.
Thank you. Yes ive linked and compiled my programs but i didnt that that the file made WAS the exe in its entirety(sp?). I honestly thought it would be a little more complicated than that. I'm an idiot. Thank you for your help.
Quote:Original post by tldalton1622
...I honestly thought it would be a little more complicated than that. I'm an idiot. Thank you for your help.

I know you weren't serious, but always remember that (IMHO) not knowing something definitely does not make someone an idiot. In fact, not being able to learn something does not make someone an idiot. Refusing to learn something, well...
Really, if you repeat anything enough, you'll start to believe it!
We''re sorry, but you don''t have the clearance to read this post. Please exit your browser at this time. (Code 23)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement