• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
tldalton1622

c++ or not c++ thats the question

This topic is 4552 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello everyone. I've been learning c++ on and off for a year or so. I've seen several posts that say someone shouldn't learn that language first. Now im curious if i should give up on it for now and try something else like darkbasic. Or just stick with it. I don't really care about how long it'll take me to consider myself a "good" programmer. I just like to learn how to make games and maybe down the road get a job as a programmer. Also, i dont want to just jump to another language but if it'll be easier to produce games......

Advertisement
Guest Anonymous Poster
C++ is relatively difficult. If you were to ask me a good starting language I would have to vote for a BASIC like one.. However that doesnt mean it is impossible to start with C++.

The basic ideas are the same, just C++ has a lot more weird symbols, and ways to crash ur PC ;)

you have already started C++, and if you think you can keep it up- Go for it! If you can learn C++ you will find nearly any other language easy by comparison ;)

At the end of the day you will probably need to learn C++ anyway ;)

Agreed: if you've been doing it for a year, and might want a job in game programming, stick with C++ until you feel pretty confident with it. Then you can branch out into other languages (I like Python, for example).

Well it depends how comfortable you feel with C++ and what kind of stuff you're capable of with it. If you're still strugling with creating a basic game then go take a look at another language, you may decide to continue using C++ but you may prefer to try making a game with the new language instead (Python may indeed be a good choice). If however you're comfortable with C++ and getting what you want done I see no immiediate reason to change. Though you will want to look at alternative languages at some point.

Quote:
Original post by Anonymous Poster

I'm not very sure of that. In fact I am pretty sure C# will do to C++ what C++ did to C. The main reasons are

• A big company has put lots of resources on creating this language, and they succeded on making it good.

• It is an open standard.

So I advice you to download MS Visual C# Express Edition and go through some basics of C#, for instance reading the tutorials on softsteel.co.uk - C# Tutorials. You will also need the .NET Framework 2.0.

[Edited by - Enselic on January 26, 2006 3:53:32 PM]

C++ is still the undisputed king of commercial games. It's pretty much expected that if you plan to get a job as a game programmer you will very likely be using C++. As a hobby developer though by all means evaluate the alternatives, since using something like C# will dramatically increase your productivity.

I truly recommend the D programming language. It's a higher-level language than C++, yet it retains its runtime efficiency. Check this page for a comparison other languages:

But I'll have to warn you that there aren't any English books about D, so you'd have to learn it from online tutorials and the language specification (which is actually a very good one). You might sometimes also stumble upon a compiler bug, but these tend to disappear quickly, if reported to the newsgroup.

If that doesn't stop you, there are D bindings for libs such as OpenGL, Direct3D, SDL, OpenAL, DevIL and more :)

Quote:
Original post by Enselic
Quote:
Original post by Anonymous Poster

I'm not very sure of that. In fact I am pretty sure C# will do to C++ what C++ did to C.

(just so you know, tldalton1622) I disagree.

Quote:
Original post by Enselic
In fact I am pretty sure C# will do to C++ what C++ did to C.

The day when device drivers and embedded systems are written in C# will be the day I become bricklayer. [sick]

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!