c++ or not c++ thats the question

Started by
28 comments, last by NLDEV 18 years, 2 months ago
Hello everyone. I've been learning c++ on and off for a year or so. I've seen several posts that say someone shouldn't learn that language first. Now im curious if i should give up on it for now and try something else like darkbasic. Or just stick with it. I don't really care about how long it'll take me to consider myself a "good" programmer. I just like to learn how to make games and maybe down the road get a job as a programmer. Also, i dont want to just jump to another language but if it'll be easier to produce games......
Advertisement
C++ is relatively difficult. If you were to ask me a good starting language I would have to vote for a BASIC like one.. However that doesnt mean it is impossible to start with C++.

The basic ideas are the same, just C++ has a lot more weird symbols, and ways to crash ur PC ;)

you have already started C++, and if you think you can keep it up- Go for it! If you can learn C++ you will find nearly any other language easy by comparison ;)

At the end of the day you will probably need to learn C++ anyway ;)
Thank you very much.
Agreed: if you've been doing it for a year, and might want a job in game programming, stick with C++ until you feel pretty confident with it. Then you can branch out into other languages (I like Python, for example).
Well it depends how comfortable you feel with C++ and what kind of stuff you're capable of with it. If you're still strugling with creating a basic game then go take a look at another language, you may decide to continue using C++ but you may prefer to try making a game with the new language instead (Python may indeed be a good choice). If however you're comfortable with C++ and getting what you want done I see no immiediate reason to change. Though you will want to look at alternative languages at some point.
Quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster

I'm not very sure of that. In fact I am pretty sure C# will do to C++ what C++ did to C. The main reasons are

• A big company has put lots of resources on creating this language, and they succeded on making it good.

• It is an open standard.

So I advice you to download MS Visual C# Express Edition and go through some basics of C#, for instance reading the tutorials on softsteel.co.uk - C# Tutorials. You will also need the .NET Framework 2.0.

[Edited by - Enselic on January 26, 2006 3:53:32 PM]
[s]--------------------------------------------------------[/s]chromecode.com - software with source code
C++ is still the undisputed king of commercial games. It's pretty much expected that if you plan to get a job as a game programmer you will very likely be using C++. As a hobby developer though by all means evaluate the alternatives, since using something like C# will dramatically increase your productivity.
I truly recommend the D programming language. It's a higher-level language than C++, yet it retains its runtime efficiency. Check this page for a comparison other languages:

But I'll have to warn you that there aren't any English books about D, so you'd have to learn it from online tutorials and the language specification (which is actually a very good one). You might sometimes also stumble upon a compiler bug, but these tend to disappear quickly, if reported to the newsgroup.

If that doesn't stop you, there are D bindings for libs such as OpenGL, Direct3D, SDL, OpenAL, DevIL and more :)
Quote:Original post by Enselic
Quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster

I'm not very sure of that. In fact I am pretty sure C# will do to C++ what C++ did to C.

(just so you know, tldalton1622) I disagree.
Quote:Original post by Enselic
In fact I am pretty sure C# will do to C++ what C++ did to C.

The day when device drivers and embedded systems are written in C# will be the day I become bricklayer. [sick]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement