The future of sound and music

Started by
2 comments, last by Marmin 18 years, 2 months ago
Hi I want to get peoples impressions on what they think future developments will be in the area of sound and music development in games. Obviously we have support for multi-speaker surround sound, music is fully featured in many games with multiple streaming tracks and can react to what is going on around you (Mario Sunshine was a beautiful example of this), but what next? Do we need more progression or have we hit a plateu, and the only improvement will be in the musicians and sound designers themselves? Any thoughts would be appreciated Daisy

hehe..

But actually, I'd much rather see a big jump in physics instead of the sound area. :D
"Game Maker For Life, probably never professional thou." =)
I'd like to see more in the way of background sounds. Some games do this really well, others not so well. Just things like bird noises, cars in the distance, all those little sounds you don't notice until they're not there any more. It would just enhance the illusion that you're in a living, breathing world.
I think Software synthesis will be the future. Regarding sound itself- a focus on the essence of the working of sound itself : -Structure, -Composition, -Connection with the game, -Sound Quality.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement