Sign in to follow this  

I can't decide what to write!

This topic is 4344 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I havn't done any C/C++ for a while and i now want to get my teeth stuck in to it again. Not sure how much time i can dedicate to it but hey. I simply can't decide which of my ideas, or otherwise, i wanna start work on. Ideas ====== 1) A rewrite of my 'multi-tasking' application-game kernel. 2) A genetic algorithms using mutation through natural selection demo written in either Java or C/C++. 3) Try and emulate Java multithreading in C++, create a thread class etc. 4) Write something to do with a client and a server, to do something, or whatever. 5) As part of 5, write a client server Online Rock Paper Scissors game. 6) An idea you have... What do you think sounds coolest, have you any ideas? Dave

One idea I always found was fun coding was a text-based calculator, now depending on your level you can implement different stuff, for example if you are not very experienced you can just write a calculator which can add numbers, if you are pretty experienced your calculator should be able to do something like this:

>f(x) = 5+x
f(x) declared
>y+3 = x
Solving equation... y = x-3
>x = 5
Solving equation... x = 5
>print y
x-3
Solving for x
x = 5
5-3 = 2
>x = 4
Solving equation... x = 4
>print y
x-3
Solving for x
x = 4
4-3

A project like this seems simple, but when you start implementing a lot it can get quite interresting.

lol

I can't even begin to think how that would work.

This has given me the idea of writing a network lobbying library, something similar to Direct Play.

Any thoughts on that?

Dave

Rather than try and do something from scratch in C++, I'd say if you want to do C++, pick an existing library and learn how to use it with C++ to get something done. For example, if you want to do networking, check out one of the many libraries in the Networking Forum, especially the one written by hplus0603, and make a program utilitizing that. If you want to do graphics, look into something C based, such as SDL, Allegro, and make a C++ wrapper for it (hehe) or pick something C++, such as Ogre, and learn how to use it. Also there is the standard C++ library that is calling your name Dave! That and Boost as well, both of which you should take a look at.

If all else fails, just start a MMORPG, that'll keep you busy for a while. [grin]

I don't want to make a game because i don't have time to finish it. I also like starting froms cratch, i learn better that way. I also know i could learn most of the things you mentioned so i am more interested in doing something nitty gritty :).

Dave

To expand on CTar's suggesstion, make it a graphing calculator. I always thought it would be cool to program something like that. I actually tried once, way back when I first started programming. The attempt was made with Allegro, but back then I didn't even know what parsing was, let alone how to do it. I might try again when I get closer to finishing some other projects I am working on.

-AJ

Quote:
Original post by Dave
How is tetris related to scokets and client server, or did you not realise i was thinking of sockets?

You could make a single player, server authoratitive version of tetris. You could add a score keeper to it so people across the world could compete and your high scores would be completely un-hackable [grin].

Hmm interesting. I think the next thing i write will be online Scissors Paper Stone. With clients written in Java and the server written in C++.

Any suggestions about this idea?

Dave

I would pick one language and write both the client and server in it. Although in a rock-paper-scissor clone it might be unnecessary, it is good practice for larger projects. You always want to share as much code as possible between the 2 - copy and pasting is bad and even using inheritance is ugly....

The coolest way to do it would be to have the same core classes for both the client and server..... then you could use the same code base and even "mix and match" functionality using interfaces.... Total overkill for your needs, but makes for a great foundation to a MMORPG [grin].

I haven't done much research... but Java seems ideal for multiplayer games. It has all the advantages over C++ that higher level languages have and it offers platform independence, something C# can't provide (yes I know of mono, but don't know enough about it to make any comments....).

If that is so then i guess i could write the whole lot in Java.

The only thin that puzzles me about Java is how the flow of the program works if say you wanted a GUI and also poll sockets at the same time. I guess that would have to be multi threaded.

Dave

You didn't take my calculator suggestion[crying][crying][crying]

Anyway i think it's a good idea to write a multiplayer rock-paper-scissor game, no matter if it's in Java or C++ I'm sure you'll learn a great deal.

Quote:

lol

I can't even begin to think how that would work.

To help you a little I wrote a MMO Tetris design document (no, I don't have too much time, just use it on the wrong stuff), you can find it here(it's a .doc file). EDIT: Of course I don't mean it seriously, in case you thought I did (well I have created the design document, but the document itself is not serious).

Are you into algorithms?
Recently, i found it fun to write a Tetris Attack Puzzle mode solver program.

Go download, zsnes and tetris attack and play the tetris mode up to high levels. You will see all the rules then, its fun along the way too.
Generally i despise puzzle games. But Tetris attack is different somone how.

Cheers

This topic is 4344 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.