I can't decide what to write!

Started by
15 comments, last by Amnesty 18 years, 2 months ago
I havn't done any C/C++ for a while and i now want to get my teeth stuck in to it again. Not sure how much time i can dedicate to it but hey. I simply can't decide which of my ideas, or otherwise, i wanna start work on. Ideas ====== 1) A rewrite of my 'multi-tasking' application-game kernel. 2) A genetic algorithms using mutation through natural selection demo written in either Java or C/C++. 3) Try and emulate Java multithreading in C++, create a thread class etc. 4) Write something to do with a client and a server, to do something, or whatever. 5) As part of 5, write a client server Online Rock Paper Scissors game. 6) An idea you have... What do you think sounds coolest, have you any ideas? Dave
Advertisement
Number 4, then after the basic infrastructure is written, make tetris. ;-)
How is tetris related to scokets and client server, or did you not realise i was thinking of sockets?
multiplayer tetris!
One idea I always found was fun coding was a text-based calculator, now depending on your level you can implement different stuff, for example if you are not very experienced you can just write a calculator which can add numbers, if you are pretty experienced your calculator should be able to do something like this:
>f(x) = 5+xf(x) declared>y+3 = xSolving equation... y = x-3>x = 5Solving equation... x = 5>print yx-3Solving for xx = 55-3 = 2>x = 4Solving equation... x = 4>print yx-3Solving for xx = 44-3

A project like this seems simple, but when you start implementing a lot it can get quite interresting.
lol

I can't even begin to think how that would work.

This has given me the idea of writing a network lobbying library, something similar to Direct Play.

Any thoughts on that?

Dave
Rather than try and do something from scratch in C++, I'd say if you want to do C++, pick an existing library and learn how to use it with C++ to get something done. For example, if you want to do networking, check out one of the many libraries in the Networking Forum, especially the one written by hplus0603, and make a program utilitizing that. If you want to do graphics, look into something C based, such as SDL, Allegro, and make a C++ wrapper for it (hehe) or pick something C++, such as Ogre, and learn how to use it. Also there is the standard C++ library that is calling your name Dave! That and Boost as well, both of which you should take a look at.

If all else fails, just start a MMORPG, that'll keep you busy for a while. [grin]
I don't want to make a game because i don't have time to finish it. I also like starting froms cratch, i learn better that way. I also know i could learn most of the things you mentioned so i am more interested in doing something nitty gritty :).

Dave
To expand on CTar's suggesstion, make it a graphing calculator. I always thought it would be cool to program something like that. I actually tried once, way back when I first started programming. The attempt was made with Allegro, but back then I didn't even know what parsing was, let alone how to do it. I might try again when I get closer to finishing some other projects I am working on.

-AJ
V/R,-AJThere are 10 kinds of people in the world: Those who understand binary and those who don't...
Quote:Original post by Dave
How is tetris related to scokets and client server, or did you not realise i was thinking of sockets?

You could make a single player, server authoratitive version of tetris. You could add a score keeper to it so people across the world could compete and your high scores would be completely un-hackable [grin].
FTA, my 2D futuristic action MMORPG

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement