I can't decide what to write!

Started by
15 comments, last by Amnesty 18 years, 2 months ago
Hmm interesting. I think the next thing i write will be online Scissors Paper Stone. With clients written in Java and the server written in C++.

Any suggestions about this idea?

Dave
Advertisement
I would pick one language and write both the client and server in it. Although in a rock-paper-scissor clone it might be unnecessary, it is good practice for larger projects. You always want to share as much code as possible between the 2 - copy and pasting is bad and even using inheritance is ugly....

The coolest way to do it would be to have the same core classes for both the client and server..... then you could use the same code base and even "mix and match" functionality using interfaces.... Total overkill for your needs, but makes for a great foundation to a MMORPG [grin].
FTA, my 2D futuristic action MMORPG
Thats a good point. The reason i am attracted to Java for teh clients was becuase of teh ease of GUI making.
I haven't done much research... but Java seems ideal for multiplayer games. It has all the advantages over C++ that higher level languages have and it offers platform independence, something C# can't provide (yes I know of mono, but don't know enough about it to make any comments....).
FTA, my 2D futuristic action MMORPG
If that is so then i guess i could write the whole lot in Java.

The only thin that puzzles me about Java is how the flow of the program works if say you wanted a GUI and also poll sockets at the same time. I guess that would have to be multi threaded.

Dave
You didn't take my calculator suggestion[crying][crying][crying]

Anyway i think it's a good idea to write a multiplayer rock-paper-scissor game, no matter if it's in Java or C++ I'm sure you'll learn a great deal.

Quote:
lol

I can't even begin to think how that would work.

To help you a little I wrote a MMO Tetris design document (no, I don't have too much time, just use it on the wrong stuff), you can find it here(it's a .doc file). EDIT: Of course I don't mean it seriously, in case you thought I did (well I have created the design document, but the document itself is not serious).
Are you into algorithms?
Recently, i found it fun to write a Tetris Attack Puzzle mode solver program.

Go download, zsnes and tetris attack and play the tetris mode up to high levels. You will see all the rules then, its fun along the way too.
Generally i despise puzzle games. But Tetris attack is different somone how.

Cheers
"I turned into a driveway I thought was mine and crashed into a tree I don't have."- a real insurance claim

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement