Angular Momentum again

Started by
23 comments, last by Way Walker 18 years, 2 months ago
Quote:Original post by Way Walker
Look at it this way, if the body is at rest but rotating, then the sum of the linear momenta will be 0 by definition, so finding a formula for the linear momentum of each particle is not equivalent to finding the angular momentum.

Well am not proposing to find a relation between "sum of linear momentum" and "angular momentum". What am proposing is starting the reasoning from the (1) body being rigid and (2) the sum of linear momentum is zero. If these conditions must be satisfied, then the body MUST be rotating. Relying on this we MUST be able to find a formula for p given r (using same meanings for symbols). I believe if somebody may be able to find such a relation, it will provide instantaneous insight into angular momentum...

Moreover, you must understand that angular momentum is definetly not a concept by itself and apart from linear momentum. It is only a simplification. That emerges from the fact the Newton's Three Laws are enough to explain any phenomenon in classical mechanics; thus angular momentum is a derived concept. Yet we never see any literature concerning the "DERIVATION" of a concept. This was expectable at high school but I never imagined that it may prevail in the engineering physics courses. I don't know about physics majors: so is this really the situation?
[ my blog ]
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by arithma

Well am not proposing to find a relation between "sum of linear momentum" and "angular momentum". What am proposing is starting the reasoning from the (1) body being rigid and (2) the sum of linear momentum is zero. If these conditions must be satisfied, then the body MUST be rotating. Relying on this we MUST be able to find a formula for p given r (using same meanings for symbols). I believe if somebody may be able to find such a relation, it will provide instantaneous insight into angular momentum...

Moreover, you must understand that angular momentum is definetly not a concept by itself and apart from linear momentum. It is only a simplification. That emerges from the fact the Newton's Three Laws are enough to explain any phenomenon in classical mechanics; thus angular momentum is a derived concept. Yet we never see any literature concerning the "DERIVATION" of a concept. This was expectable at high school but I never imagined that it may prevail in the engineering physics courses. I don't know about physics majors: so is this really the situation?

Perhaps this is a case of putting the horse behind the cart... the conservation laws are more general than Newton's laws and are given higher precedence (here). In other words, Newton's laws should be derived from conservation of momentum, not the other way around.

[edit] perhaps Noether's theorem is what you are looking for?

--www.physicaluncertainty.com
--linkedin
--irc.freenode.net#gdnet

Look at it this way, if the body is at rest but rotating, then the sum of the linear momenta will be 0 by definition, so finding a formula for the linear momentum of each particle is not equivalent to finding the angular momentum.

Given L and r, you can't find p. Cross product isn't reversible. You realized this when you pointed out that doubling r and halving p gives the same result. Doubling r and changing the angle from 90 to 30 would also give the same result. Cross product is lossy. You'll have to find some other source of insight.

Quote:

Engineering is dirty physics in the same way that physics is dirty math. Really, engineering is about results and doesn't much care how the physicists came up with the results. In fact, you probably won't get to the derivation until upper level, even graduate pure-(as-opposed-to-dirty/engineering-)physics courses. Our classical mechanics course wasn't until junior/senior year.

If you really want it, here's how I see angular momentum coming about:
Consider an object in a force field (e.g. gravity, part of a rigid object, etc.). Let's say it's in orbit. It's orbiting so obviously momentum isn't conserved. However, it won't just spontaneously stop spinning, so something's being conserved. Energy? Maybe, but if its orbit contracts (think figure skater) that won't be conserved. The quantity (r x p) is conserved. This is somewhat intuitive if you picture an orbitting object; in an elliptical orbit v (and thus p) decreases with r. You don't escape this problem with a circular orbit because the direction of v changes, but (r x p) will always be normal to the orbitting plane. Basically, r "corrects for" the changes in p.

Now, I bet you have a couple concerns about what I just said:
1) "But momentum is conserved if you take into account what's causing the force field". True, but the same complaint could be brought against the claim that momentum is conserved even when energy isn't. Energy is conserved, if you take everything into account. Like you said, these are simplifications. Even Newton's three laws can be considered simplifications of General Relativity.

2) "But angular momentum is only conserved in the absence of non-central forces". Yeah, but this requirement is basically satisfied by requiring it to be in an orbit.

If you want something more rigorous, I think a book or pen and paper are your best bet.

This is going to sound critical, but it's not, I'm honestly curious: Did you demand a rigorous definition of limits before you were satisfied with derivatives?

By the way, you didn't play my game: describe momentum to me. [grin]
Consider an object in a force field (e.g. gravity, part of a rigid object, etc.). Let's say it's in orbit. It's orbiting so obviously momentum isn't conserved. However, it won't just spontaneously stop spinning, so something's being conserved. Energy? Maybe, but if its orbit contracts (think figure skater) that won't be conserved. The quantity (r x p) is conserved. This is somewhat intuitive if you picture an orbitting object; in an elliptical orbit v (and thus p) decreases with r. You don't escape this problem with a circular orbit because the direction of v changes, but (r x p) will always be normal to the orbitting plane. Basically, r "corrects for" the changes in p.

I also drop my questions about correlating the conservation of angular momentum to conservation of energy... It is obvious that it an invalid question when compared to linear momentum and Linear Kinetic Energy which are not necessarily conserved together.

-----

Given L and r, you can't find p. Cross product isn't reversible....

If you follow me precisely as ask the question, I'm concerned with the transition from linear momentum to angular momentum. So your note over here may be precise but a little bit irrelevant.
-----

And regarding the orbits:
Orbits are also irrelevant since am considering total linear momentum is zero; except if you're talking about a wider system that spans other objects, but again it loses the "Rigid Body" qualification...

This is going to sound critical, but it's not, I'm honestly curious: Did you demand a rigorous definition of limits before you were satisfied with derivatives?

Not really, because we learned about it in eleventh grade, so I didn't have enough backward curiosity if I may say. And besides, for most applications, an empirical understanding of small entity is achievable

By the way, you didn't play my game: describe momentum to me.

I assume you mean linear momentum. If that's it then it is easy. An understanding of mass as "mass of particles" then as "quantity of mass of particle" and directly map "mass of particle" into "particle" so you have it as "quantity of particles". And velocity doesn't need to be explained, (the differential of position over the differential of time...). Now if you assume each particle has an equal linear momentum to each other particle (no rotation) then linear momentum can be understood as: the "quantity of particles" * "velocity" which could be manipulated to "quantity of velocity of particles". Viola; At least it makes sense to me :)

Quote:Original post by jjd
Perhaps this is a case of putting the horse behind the cart...

According to your source, the validity is given the higher precedence, not actually the concept itself, which is related to conditions such as approaching speed of light and stuff; we are discussing a Classical Mechanics Universe
[ my blog ]

According to your source, the validity is given the higher precedence, not actually the concept itself, which is related to conditions such as approaching speed of light and stuff; we are discussing a Classical Mechanics Universe

Um, what? Read the seciton entitle "Relationship to the conservation laws", it is about classical physics and has nothing to do with einstein's relativity. Also, you are trying to squeeze the conservation of angular momentum out of newton's law, which are derived from conservation of linear momentum... and you wonder why you're having trouble understanding it?!

I give up.

--www.physicaluncertainty.com
--linkedin
--irc.freenode.net#gdnet

Angular momentum as we define it is a derivation. So why do we care about it, as it's arguably not as fundamental as other quantities ?

Simply because in rotational problems it's the quantitiy most often conserved. E.g. a freely rotating non-symmetric rigid body will have an axis of rotation, a speed of rotation, and so an angular velocity. In general none of these is conserved - all can change over time, and in general do for irregular body. But angular momentum IS conserved, providing no external torque is applied.

As it can be related to other quantities it can tell us things about them which are difficult to deduce in other ways. In some ways the fact that it's conserved makes it more fundamental. E.g. fundamental particles have a fixed 'intrinsic angular momentum', also called spin.

You might also consider kinetic energy, but in general is not conserved in non-rigid bodies. E.g. a planet orbiting a star gains and loses kinetic energy as it moves closer to and away from the star. Or in a non-elastic collision between two bodies energy is lost but providing there are no external forces or toruqes total linear and angular momentum are conserved.
John BlackburneProgrammer, The Pitbull Syndicate
Given L and r, you can't find p. Cross product isn't reversible....

If you follow me precisely as ask the question, I'm concerned with the transition from linear momentum to angular momentum. So your note over here may be precise but a little bit irrelevant.

I don't know what else you could mean by "Formula for p given r". I thought you were trying to attack the problem from another direction (i.e. instead of seeing how to get to angular momentum from linear, you'd try to see the relation from the other side). Please restate the question and I'll be happy to attempt another answer.

The only other interpretation I can think of is for a formula for p given a position r within the body, but surely that depends on the system you're considering.

Quote:
And regarding the orbits:
Orbits are also irrelevant since am considering total linear momentum is zero; except if you're talking about a wider system that spans other objects, but again it loses the "Rigid Body" qualification...

Orbits are not irrelevant. A "rigid body" forms a force field. If the object is spinning, its "rigidness" implies a force pulling each portion of the body toward the center of rotation (otherwise it would fly apart). Each of these portions is "orbitting" that center of rotation. (This sort of "dividing the body into pieces" is common in physics and why I mentioned being part of a rigid body as being in a sort of force field.) In other words, if you understand an object in orbit, it's an easy extension to an ensemble of objects in orbit. You've merely placed the constraint (wolog, because we can simply have a moving frame of reference) that the individual linear momenta sum to 0.

Quote:

Not really, because we learned about it in eleventh grade, so I didn't have enough backward curiosity if I may say. And besides, for most applications, an empirical understanding of small entity is achievable

My point was, you use (and apparently still use) an intuitive understanding of limit without seeing how this concept comes from more basic concepts. A rigorous definition of limits gives the assurance that what you're doing is mathematically sound, but isn't usually of any use so long as you have the intuitive understanding.

Quote:
I assume you mean linear momentum. If that's it then it is easy. An understanding of mass as "mass of particles" then as "quantity of mass of particle" and directly map "mass of particle" into "particle" so you have it as "quantity of particles". And velocity doesn't need to be explained, (the differential of position over the differential of time...). Now if you assume each particle has an equal linear momentum to each other particle (no rotation) then linear momentum can be understood as: the "quantity of particles" * "velocity" which could be manipulated to "quantity of velocity of particles". Viola; At least it makes sense to me :)

I'm not entirely sure "quantity of velocity of particles" makes sense, but I think I know what you mean. However, I fail to see how "quantity of angular velocity of particles" can seem so foreign if "quantity of velocity of particles" makes sense.
To jjd:
Quote:From the given wiki source
The laws of conservation of momentum, energy, and angular momentum are of more general validity than Newton's laws, since they apply to both light and matter, and to both classical and non-classical physics. In the special case of a system of material particles interacting via instantaneously transmitted forces, Newton's second law can be viewed as a definition of force, and the third law can be derived from conservation of momentum.

And if you were right and I was wrong (in any sense you can put it) then I am sorry for any discomfort I did induce.. Thanks for your time anyway [grin]

To johnb:
I am not discussing "the usefulness of angular momentum" but asking about "the origins of its usefulness" by investigating its mathematical origin.

The only other interpretation I can think of is for a formula for p given a position r within the body, but surely that depends on the system you're considering.

This is what I meant.

its "rigidness" implies a force pulling each portion of the body toward the center of rotation (otherwise it would fly apart).

Ok. Then I correct my statement to "non-circular orbits" are irrelevant. I think this is fair enough.

Given L and r, you can't find p. Cross product isn't reversible.

For rigid bodies it is reversible.
vi = (m ri2)-1L cross ri
[ my blog ]

This is what I meant.

My appologies, for whatever reason the constraints placed by the sentence before the request didn't click in my head.

Quote:
its "rigidness" implies a force pulling each portion of the body toward the center of rotation (otherwise it would fly apart).

Ok. Then I correct my statement to "non-circular orbits" are irrelevant. I think this is fair enough.

Then what I said still applies (because "circular orbits" are a subset of what I described): Something is being conserved because it doesn't just spontaneously decay. It's not momentum (v can't make up its mind where to point) and it's not energy (not conserved under contraction). (r x p) gives a conserved quantity because the r compensates for changes in p.

But maybe you'll say "It's rigid, so there's no contraction and energy is conserved". All I can think to say then is that you've pretty much eliminated everything that would've lead to the development of angular momentum. It seems something like this:
Person1: Could you explain why we use 'F = dp/dt' instead of 'F = ma'?
Person2: Because the former works for changing mass. (rocket science!)
Person1: Yeah, but what if mass is constant?
Person2: Well, then 'F = ma' is just fine.
Person1: So why do we use 'F = dp/dt' instead of 'F = ma'?

If you want to use math, jjd's route is your best bet. What I said above is much less rigorous, but I think it's the way that most physicists intuitively understand the concept (although the rigorous proofs give them a warm fuzzy).

Quote:
For rigid bodies it is reversible.
vi = (m ri2)-1L cross ri

So you have what you are looking for, problem solved? I'm guessing not, but if you can tell us why this fails to answer the question we may be able to fix things.
The formula that I posted is the reverse of what I needed [grin]

In addition, I am not asking about the validity of the formula of angular momentum. I am asking about the steps that get you from "linear momentum of particles" into "angular momentum of rigid body". This is assuming you don't use nothing but math and the concept of "linear momentum".

I drop any relevancy issues that were raised in face of using orbits. However I praise the avoidance of their usage in the discussion. After all we are trying to figure out an intuitive sense around angular momentum [smile].

Now let's get down to the dirt.
For a translationally resting rigid body the following is observed:

- Sum of pi = 0; which we get from the "translationally resting" constraint, which is only for the sake of simplification
- Every particle is connected to every other particle by a nonelastic rigid rod; to satisfy the rigidity constraint

Manipulation steps: x, y, z,...
to reach a situation where miraceously a quantity appears that simplifies things: ANGULAR MOMENTUM. This quantity must appear somewhere since the latter conditions allow rotational movement exclusively.

The outcome will allow us, instead of having to use the function pi(ri) to describe the rotation of the body, to use the constant quantity L that arrises from ??? to describe that rotation. Then the quantities pi are easily calculated given their ri and the constant alleged quantity.

There are two other things: (1) that "using system of equations of linear momentum of particles is equivalent to using the angular momentum of rigid body" to describe the rotation and (2) an answer to a similar (but simpler) question concerning the linear momentum of a rigid body.

(1)
We can describe the rotation of a rigid body (implicitly) by the following funtion:
pi(ri) = ri-2 L cross ri
This is of course in a confined situation where r and L and p are orthogonal in-pairs; but you get the idea.
------------------------------------------------------------------

(2)
How is the concept of linear momentum of a rigid body established:
Constraints: resting rotationally

resting rotationally: vi = v for any i in the body. Interestingly, that preserves the rigidness of the body.

{
sum of pi = sum of ( mi vi )
ptotal = sum of ( mi v )
ptotal = sum of ( mi ) v
ptotal = mtotal v
}
These steps are analogues to {x,y,z,...} in the answer that I seek

Please note that I allowed my self to use linear momentum of particles here because it is of low intuitive requirements. However, you shouldn't allow yourself to use angular momentum of particles in the establishment of angular momentum of a rigid body. This is because it is assumed that the whole notion of "angular momentum of anything" is not known before this step.

Please bare with me...
[ my blog ]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement