story telling vs facilitating storytelling

Started by
12 comments, last by Cybergrape 18 years, 2 months ago
I'd have to agree that most of the MMORPGs mentioned in the thread don't really incorporate much story. That is not to say that it isn't possible. One of the interesting concepts for that genre is the possibility for truly dynamic words. I beleive this is the true potential for MMORPGs. Currently the world is pretty static and all the focus goes to the individual character and how they level up. If the players really were given the power to shape the game world then the story lines that could emerge would be limited only by the imagination of the participants. Well I won't rant about it here. Let me know what you think or if you want to know more.
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by ironore
I'd have to agree that most of the MMORPGs mentioned in the thread don't really incorporate much story.

that is true, but I've heard stories about people in ultima online being kings of countries and people in world of warcraft running shops where people can store stuff. Both these cases are examples where people create their own stories (although that may not be as fancy as saving a pretty princess from a dragon) but it gives them the possiblity to be unique and run a virtual life.

Game Engineering ResearcherSee www.helpyouplay.com
Well that is true. I used to facillitate my own stories when I played UO but it was always like swimming upstream, fighting the system if you know what I mean. Still it did present a challenge. I'm just saying it would be nice to design a game for a change that planned for freely developing stories in a dynamic world, not with pre-programmed content and static gameplay. That could be truly unique.
Quote:Original post by ironore
Well that is true. I used to facillitate my own stories when I played UO but it was always like swimming upstream, fighting the system if you know what I mean. Still it did present a challenge. I'm just saying it would be nice to design a game for a change that planned for freely developing stories in a dynamic world, not with pre-programmed content and static gameplay. That could be truly unique.

;D

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement