Sign in to follow this  

SDL?

This topic is 4339 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'd guess that

Simple DirectMedia Layer is a cross-platform multimedia library designed to provide low level access to audio, keyboard, mouse, joystick, 3D hardware via OpenGL, and 2D video framebuffer.

http://www.libsdl.org/index.php

and http://www.libsdl.org/intro/toc.html for the second part.

SDL is a 2d graphics API. It is also capable of sound and many other things. You can find out alot more at www.libsdl.org. SDL is pretty easy to learn and I suggest it to any programmers wanting to start 2d graphics. It also can easily create simple windows.

EDIT: Metphorically beat me :)

To sum it up: SDL is the single most useful thing that you will ever find. I personally find it extremely useful. It does all the little annoying thing that are necessary to making a game, but isn't exactly 'game programming.'

Some disagree and recomend Allegro, which is a very similiar library.

Let me just show you this little tool I call Google:

What is SDL

How do you use SDL

I've taken your exact question and entered it into google. I've found results which answer your question fairly well and which lead to more questions that will further your knowledge.

So, that said, I can only assume something is preventing you from using Google. I'd suggest checking your browser and possibly make sure you are connected to the internet before proceeding. *eyeroll*

Quote:
Original post by Ezbez
Some disagree and recomend Allegro, which is a very similiar library.

I remember when I first found Allegro, ah love at first byte... [smile] Unfortunately I never finished a project with it [sad] Looked promising, but since I've picked up Opengl I haven't looked back.

SDL does have competition. GLFW for one, is simpler (does much less) and only takes up 37KB. There are many libraries out there which can do the file loading, and audio tasks done by SDL (which is the prime difference between SDL's features and GLFW's).

If you want everything in the same proven package than SDL is the way. If you like to have more options with less bulk and feature spam, then you may want to look at GLFW or an equivalent library.

This topic is 4339 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.