Sign in to follow this  

Question on latest DIrectx9 SDK and MS VC++ 6.0

This topic is 4343 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

HI, I am very much a newbie. Several years ago I bought MS Visual C++ 6.0. I had set it aside, but am picking it up again. I have Jonathan S Harbour's "Beginning Game Programing", and am having some problems with the code, specifically the DX( code intorduced in CHapetre 5. I have tried yojust complieing the source code from the disk, but get a BUNCH or complie errors. Being a newbie, and not knowing a lot about C++ or DirectX 9 SDK, I can't figure out what it is trying to tell me. I know that MS has gone away for MS VC++ 6 to it's new code. My first question is, are MSVC++ 6.0 and the latest DX9 SDK combatible. That is, should I be able to comile the source code using SDK and MS VC++ 6 w/o any problems or does DX9 require a more recent complier to work? TIA Nathan

Quote:
Original post by NG Cathey
My first question is, are MSVC++ 6.0 and the latest DX9 SDK combatible. That is, should I be able to comile the source code using SDK and MS VC++ 6 w/o any problems or does DX9 require a more recent complier to work?

The VC++ 6.0 is not supported by the DX9 SDK. Download the free Visual C++ 2005 Express Edition instead (and make sure to have the Platform SDK installed as well).

Good luck!
Pat.

Thanks Pat,

So from your response, can I read into it that if I want to realy get into it, I will need to buy a new complier (wehter it be Visual Studio of BOrelands, or someone elses. Is that correct.

Thanks again for the response.

Nathan

This topic is 4343 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.