Sign in to follow this  

Writing a file backup to CD/DVD utility

This topic is 4340 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm thinking about writing a file backup utility and would like to know how to go about it. Basically, user would multi-select folders/files from a dir tree and then the files will get automatically burned to CD-RW disk. Files would fit efficiently onto the ~570mb disk formatted with nero's inCD sw. So if I got to burn 1gig of data, it would consume two cd-rw disks. I can't seem to figure out how to burn to cd-rw w/o inCD. I don't think the IMAPI is for win98 which I use and code on. Anyways, what I was thinking was to create my own file, in the first field write how long the full path is, in second field store the full path to the file/folder and in last part I would write the current file. Then compress this file archive and sort the files into size bins so they would fit efficiently onto the disk. So each file/folder would be separate on the disk and also compressed so if disk became damaged I could recover some files, I think. So, right now I'm looking over various free compression libs like bzip2, zlib, etc. I have some of the gui done ie. the tree views with check boxes for example, etc. Oh, to restore the files from disk I would read each file in, decompress it, and allow user to choose a root directory ie. folder where he wants to dump all files. So the path would be like: Backup_Date\C@@\blah\file.txt in another words, Backup_Date would be placed into the file, then C:\ would be replaced with C@@ so user can backup from various drives at the same time. So that he knows to which drive letter those files are linked to. So what do you think about all of this? Is there a better way to do this whole bit or does this suffice?

To be honest, I think you're going to have to go with what you've got. There aren't too many people out there who are still using Windows 98 (you do realize it's 8 years old now right?), and I don't even remember there being CD-RW support in the operating system (shows how long it's been since I've used it).

I really do wish you good luck though, because from the likes of it you're going to need it.

This topic is 4340 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.