A New Way to Code Games!

Started by
22 comments, last by PSioNiC 23 years, 3 months ago
that idea is REALLY bad. the dx8 optimization function don''t lower the vertex count, so you have to rotate all the verticies every time. the point of a terrain engine is to prevent this. it might not be a horible idea if you were to break the terrain up into a grid and load each grid into a mesh. then you could at least not draw the meshes that aren''t visible.
Advertisement
About the processor thing, if it doesn''t work on my laptop, then it won''t sell.

If you have a lot of identical objects in your level (like three identical desks in a room, with several chairs and stuff in different places, it is going to waste memory and processor time if you have to store all those chairs and desks as part of the level when you could store them separately, have them fall over or explode (dynamite chairs like in GoldenEye, tee hee) when you shoot them etc, you are going to have to make them separate objects, and not part of the level. The idea works up to a point, but if you want to do some really cool stuff it sort of breaks down. It reminds me a bit of the approach to 2D scrolling games someone used, make one big bitmap for the whole level and use a vector map for collision detection. Although it''s not an exact parallel, it sums up the spirit of the thing.

Just because you''re outnumbered doesn''t mean you''re wrong.

sharewaregames.20m.com

I don''t know how many of you have really looked closely at the .X file format. But it fully supports Parent/Child heierarchys. It does not have to export 3dObjects as a single large mesh. You can very easily export an entire level in one file and still keep and treat each sub object as a seperate entity. You can also group a set of objects (chair/table/tree whatever) to a room or certain portion of your terrain, attach a visibility sphere to the room/terrain, and very quickly cull it and all of its children if its not visible.
I agree that in most cases a BSP/Oct/Quad or Beam tree would be better/faster. But... someones got to be the lab rat otherwise nothing new will ever be developed.
about the mesh optimzation thing, i can''t remember who posted but he/she is wrong. The function that lowers the vertex count is D3DXSimplifyMesh

you can specify how far you want to simplify and everything
"This is stupid. I can't believe this! Ok, this time, there really IS a bug in the compiler."... 20 mins pass ..."I'M AN IDIOT!!!"

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement