Sign in to follow this  

C++/GCC Embedding binary data in executable

This topic is 4336 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey, how would I go about embedding and using binary data from a file, an image perhaps, into an executable using C++ compiled with GCC? (well MinGW, but I’d like to compile for non-windows platforms as well) I would like to keep my game as a single executable file. Sorry for the short, not so informative post but I don’t have a clue how to do this and therefore I’m not to sure what information I need to provide, if you need any more just ask, thanks.

Google 'bin2h' or 'bin2c'. You can find some utilities that will read a file and output a source file that contains your original file as a byte array. That's about the simplest way to do it, but it can slow down your linking if it's a lot of data.

If you want to be Windows-specific, use windres, it's usually part Windows binutils.

I'm sure there are other ways of directly doing it that work for anywhere, and I remember doing it for generating bin images for embedded environments, but I can't remember how it was done.

This topic is 4336 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.