Sign in to follow this  

[web] Backyard Productions Website

This topic is 4333 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I've created this site entirely by myself. http://www.backyardproductions.org/ I didn't know any HTML when I made, so I just sorta learned as I went. It took me a while, but I think I'm pretty happy with the result. It's been up for a while, and I thought I would ask what other people think. Please leave suggestions/comments. [smile] Thanks, Levi

What KimmoA is saying (in a rather rude way I might add) is that your html does not conform to w3's standards and recommendations.

Basically, if you try validating your site using this, then it will give you all the 'errors' in your markup much like when you compile some c++ source.

This is far from the end of the world, as your site loads and renders fine in both the browsers I have (firefox and ie only on this machine), but if you are interested in making your html valid (according to w3 standards) then you could consider making the necessary changes to the lines the w3 validator flags.

All that said and done, your site looks fine. The colour scheme is easy to read and the layout works well enough.

Keep it up [smile]
Regards,
ViLiO

Not too shabby. My only real gripe is that you should convert your title image from .bmp to .jpg. 187kb for a title image is far too large. Fine for broadband users, but will be a problem for people with dialup. Even with my 512k adsl, i noticed it having to load on my first visit to the page.

Looks ok if you ask me, but the default link colors and default fonts and all won't make it stand out. It all feels too much like a quick Frontpage site, and with the ads the sidebars look cluttered.
You can do much more with the font tag and css. Read up on css, it's much easier to change your sites colors, fonts and other visual properties if you use it well.

About the sidebar, I'd take out the Google search, since almost everyone has it bookmarked already anyway and it only clutters your design. The same for the image links below it: their various sizes make them look odd. I'd say, make them more uniform to give the site a more solid look.

The menu is different on many pages, which makes it feel very inconsistent and makes navigating confusing. Try to keep each page consistent in terms of layout and mind your navigation system. For example, the tutorial doesn't even have that navigation menu, only a back link, while other pages miss the link to your blog and some refer to 'More about Me' while other pages use 'More about Us'.

As for screenshots, use thumbnails so people know what they're going to see. It's also important to show them something immediatly if your sites goal has something to do with visuals.

And about contact links, personally I hate it when it's a mailto link. It opens Outlook automatically here and that disturbs my browsing. I'd prefer a contact page on the site with ideally a form I can fill in and submit, or otherwise an email link or adress on that page.

All in all, good start, but there's many things to work on. Good luck. :)

First of all, thanks to everyone for their feedback. I will change the .bmp's to something else, as I don't want to die a horrible death.

Quote:
It all feels too much like a quick Frontpage site

That it is not! :) don't want it to look like that. What color would you suggest for the color of the links

Quote:
You can do much more with the font tag and css. Read up on css, it's much easier to change your sites colors, fonts and other visual properties if you use it well.

I will read up on it. What do you mean, by "you can do much more with"?

Quote:
About the sidebar, I'd take out the Google search, since almost everyone has it bookmarked already anyway and it only clutters your design. The same for the image links below it: their various sizes make them look odd. I'd say, make them more uniform to give the site a more solid look.

The google sidebar was originally put in for google adsense, but I'm not getting anything from it, so I think I will take it out. About the image links, I'll see if I can make them more uniform, but I think they'll look better without the google toolbar on top of them.

Quote:
The menu is different on many pages, which makes it feel very inconsistent and makes navigating confusing.

This is a very big problem, I know. I've been having a hard time making sure they are all the same on each page, escpecially when I add links. By the way, the About Us, versus About Me, is because it's Snobbins Films, versus backyard productions. I think I need to change, or explain the difference between the two, as they are not the same. Maybe change the layout on the Snobbins Film pages.

Quote:
As for screenshots, use thumbnails so people know what they're going to see.

How would I do that?

Thanks to everyone else for the feedback too.

[Edited by - levjs on January 29, 2006 6:40:05 PM]

Quote:
Original post by levjs
Quote:
As for screenshots, use thumbnails so people know what they're going to see.
How would I do that?

Make a smaller version of the image and use that for the link.

Moved to Web Development, as this has become more of a critical analysis exercise than an announcement.

Thanks Oluseyi. Both for the information and moving it. : )

It's good to get feedback. I'm working on modifying it, including some of the suggestion ya'll have mentioned. It won't be up for a few days probably, but when it comes up, it should be all at once, and better than it was before.

More feedback is welcome. [wink]
Levi

The site looks pretty good, especially for a first try. Kudos on that. I would take another look at the colorscheme though. The blue-on-blue menu links are hard to read, and the overall color scheme is a little hard on the eyes. I wouldn't want to spend half an hour staring at the screen on your site anyway. Maybe you should use softer colours.

There are quite a few color scheme pickers around on the internet. You could play with one of those.

@Sander About the color, I like most of them. I agree that the links colors need to be changed. What is it that you don't like about the colors. Is there any one thing that makes it hard to look at??

@Captian P
I've looked into CSS, and it's going to make my job alot easier. Thanks for alerting me of it. :)

I'm still working on the update, it'll take a while, but when I'm done I think it'll look a whole lot better.
Levi

Quote:
Original post by levjs
@Sander About the color, I like most of them. I agree that the links colors need to be changed. What is it that you don't like about the colors. Is there any one thing that makes it hard to look at??

Yes, the lighter/brighter blue background behind the darker blue boxes is quite harsh IMHO. You might want to go with a softer shade of blue.

This topic is 4333 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.