3d engines

Started by
4 comments, last by cherryhouse 18 years, 2 months ago
Everywhere I look I see teams formed that require the 3d programmers to know opengl and sdl or opengl and ogre ect.. I was just wondering if it is possible to make an entire game based on just the opengl engine, or would functions be a more appropriate term? The opengl library seems to have everything needed to program a game in 3d so would engines like ogre and sdl be for a bigger variety or what? I have a list of things i wish to accomplish while i'm working on 3d programming but i don't want to stray too far into the business because I am only planning on learning these few things before i go back to win32 api and networking. If i can create a program using these 3d effects without any third party game engine just check it off or something.. shaders - antistropic filtering - antialiasing - vertical sync - high dynamic range lighting - high dynamic deffusion lighting (i think that's what it's called, like the flashlight in cs:source kind of..) - cel shading - Blending - High definition textures - Reflections - Water effects (this might just be multitextured with reflections, i'm not too sure) - And that's about it.. I am pretty sure opengl can do all of the above but i justwant to get a better understanding of why people would create a new game engine if ogl can do everything anyways. Thanks in advanced EDIT: I would also like to add model importing to the list. It's possible to use any model type, but which extensions specifically?
Hello?
Advertisement
I think your confusing terminology. OpenGL is not a 3D Engine, its a 3D API. 3D Engines use 3D APIs to render stuff. For example, the Unreal Engine is a 3D engine which can use either Direct3D or OpenGL as 3D API to do its rendering.
That's what i was thinking. People would create a 3d engine to ease the use of the 3d api then right? Perhaps even manipulate it a little bit? In the long run it would be shorter work to do if you decided to use a game engine, but more experience would come out of using the 3D api for all your work correct?
Hello?
Well, yeah, you're quite right :-)

Graphic APIs like OpenGL provide you with quite a low level access to your graphics hardware, therefore it's a lot of work to get something nice rendered. 3d engines provide you with functionality on a higher level, e.g. scene graphs, that manages your whole scene, methods that load animated models, etc ... so with a 3d engine you can concentrate on building your game or whatever and you don't have to worry so much about the basic graphic programming that lies underneath. While working with OpenGL means to deal with every single polygon ;-)

So if you want to learn about graphics programming (and i think thats what you want) you should do OpenGL

greetz
you can force Ogre3D to run in OpenGL only. No problem with that. But i do not know whenever Ogre runs on linux.
I can't compile ogre3D on this computer anyways, I tried to install it with dev-c++ 4 times and messed up everytime, when i tried installing with visual C++, I would try to install the PSDK but my windows installer is corrupt or something. I've tried to re-install windows installer and everything. I kept trying till I came to the conclusion, I can't use ogre.

About the comparison between using a 3d engine opposed to a 3d api to render your scenes, with more difficulty included in 3D coding, could a 3d engine vs a 3d api be compared to winsock vs raknet? The sockets would obviously be easier, but would it make the same type of simplicity as the 3d programming?
Hello?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement