Programming at school

Started by
21 comments, last by tldalton1622 18 years, 2 months ago
Quote:Original post by tldalton1622
hey for that crimson editor. I downloaded it. Now i was wondering if you know how to compile a file in c++.

or if you could compile it....

This page has a good explanation of how to setup and use compilers, for both a MS one and g++. Then with the crimson editor under tools->conf. user tools you can set it up with your compiler of choice to avoid some boring repetition.
Advertisement
Try ConTEXT
For others see: Here
Sorry, lost link: http://www.devzoo.com//index.php?tooltype=WindowsEditor
Interesting problem, I'm with the others - it should be the lecturer & IT Staff to provide you guys with a proper enviornment.

You might want to invest in a usb key device - small ones are dirt cheap these days and you might be able to fit a more friendly enviornment on there.

I expect admin rights have been locked down on your machines so things that use Install Shield and write to the registry I guess won't work that immediately take MS Express and things like that out of the equation.

Good luck anyways
Anything posted is personal opinion which does not in anyway reflect or represent my employer. Any code and opinion is expressed “as is” and used at your own risk – it does not constitute a legal relationship of any kind.
If you have a usb drive, try to install dev-c++ in it. It might work.
In worst case, fire up command prompt (start/run cmd.exe) or command.com and you may start writing your programs simply with:

copy con test.c
#include <stdio.h>
void main(void)
{
printf("hello world!\n");
}
<press F6>^<enter>

viola. you get test.c on your drive. Of course, this is as mouch hardcore as it gets. You still need a compiler.

But seriously. Why not get a solution like RADIX Protector or something like that, where core system files get protected by hardware, anyone may install everything he wants but after reset the computer is as it was new. This is just a suggestion for your IT.
Crimson Editor is rather "portable".

Edit: Bah, it's already been suggested. I used to tote GVIM for Windows around on a USB key when I was in high school, but don't do that anymore now that I lug a laptop instead.
I think I could fit various text editors inside the "my documents" folder. I will look into having dev-cpp on a usb memory stick, but I think dev-cpp wants registry access.

Quote:Original post by DeadXorAlive
Quote:Original post by tldalton1622
hey for that crimson editor. I downloaded it. Now i was wondering if you know how to compile a file in c++.

or if you could compile it....

This page has a good explanation of how to setup and use compilers, for both a MS one and g++. Then with the crimson editor under tools->conf. user tools you can set it up with your compiler of choice to avoid some boring repetition.

Good suggestion, having just a little compiler that compiled textfiles and linked them would work well. But doing it that way (just guessing now, havent done it this way before) it would become very manual and since Im doing this to help my classmates it maybe isnt such a good idea after all. I want to be able to do something to ease the work with all these crappy IDE's so they could focus more on the actual coding, but this way, maybe they get even more stuff to think about. :P

Good discussion so far though. Thanks everyone for your input. :)

Try to set up Code::Blocks if you can, see if that works.
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
Make sure you won't get in to trouble with the network people either. Some (!) of them can be minor power wielders, and if loading programs of your own is against their acceptable use policy you could get told off, or worse.
Anything posted is personal opinion which does not in anyway reflect or represent my employer. Any code and opinion is expressed “as is” and used at your own risk – it does not constitute a legal relationship of any kind.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement