Programming at school

Started by
21 comments, last by tldalton1622 18 years, 2 months ago
Were having a programming class here at school. But the computers are completely fucked up if I may say so. We have two compilers/IDE's but neither one of them are working. We got Borland c++ here but the IDE doesnt (for some reason) respond to keyboard input, everything we type come up as wierd red characters. Then we got an older one called Borland Sharp, a dos based IDE, but whenever were trying to start it, it crashes. I tried to download and install Dev-Cpp locally inside my own "My documents" folder, we got one each here that holds around 30 MB. But it gives wierd errors, not able to find main.o and stuff like that, even though there shouldnt anything wrong with the program. Probably because we dont have access to some other partitions on the server, we only got our little documents partition. Were writing code in notepad, no compiling, no syntax highlight. Noones learning anything. No problem for me, Im far beyond the level of this class (since this is my main interest) but I wanna help me fello' classmates. [smile] Are there anything you think could work? A very very very minimal IDE? That could fit (and work) from inside our small documents folder? I thought Dev-Cpp could do the trick but apparently, it needs access to other folders here or something. Comments?
Advertisement
Just tell the lecturer to sort it out. If that doesn't work then go above his head and keep going going until it gets sorted. Nothing pisses me off more than the educational facilities making your work harder by having knackered computers, the work is usually hard enough as it is. I have the same problems here at uni.

Dave
Well the problems have been going on and off for over half a year now. Several times Ive taken contact with various heads and system administrators. And as a matter of fact, one of the admins are in here now trying to sort out one of the problems. The same problem he has fixed three times before. :rolleyes

I fear that before we got a fully working system, the course is going to be over and Ive taken action into my own hands. [smile]

Trying to google up some mini IDE but I dont got much luck. We dont got floppys here but we got CD drives, so Im thinking of brining along a linux livecd... dont know what the admins think of that though. But maybe then we can get a working envoirment. It all depends on how the harddrives actually look, if were able to mount and write to our documents partition, it could actually work. But it does probably make use of the NTFS filesystem.
Well, you can always write code in notepad. You can hardly get more minimal than that.
"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." — Brian W. Kernighan
I've had problems like these for the last three years at college. The tutors won't do anything and the college admins think that they know best and won't do anything at all we say (even though we are right they are wrong).

They want us to do VB work with the extra controls (Common Controls, DataGrid, Common Dialogs etc.) but we don't have permissions to use ActiveX controls. So we ask and the admins say "Too much of a security risk", so we said what about the room with no internet access because then AX doesn't matter, "Still to much of a security risk". Of what? It has no internet access. Our admins have some sort of superitory (sp?) complex and don't accept anything we say (we once told one what exactly was wrong with a pc, he said no your completly wrong, then two hours latter he was talking to a fellow admin asaying that we did exactly what we told him to).

Sorry to rant, but crap admins annoy me. I found that having Dev-C++ on a usb key drive worked, mabye you could try that. I'm sure most of you have that for storing your work anyway and if not they arn't very expensive for a 128/256MB version.
That's a damn shame, at our school we have MSVS.NET 2003. We compile DX, OGL, Allegro, ect. Have you tried to get Dev-C++ on your home PC, find the directory it's in, copy it to a CD, then copy those files to either the network drive or your own personal drive at school? Hope you can get it working better than a notepad system.

teh_programerer
Quote:Original post by mengha
I've had problems like these for the last three years at college. The tutors won't do anything and the college admins think that they know best and won't do anything at all we say (even though we are right they are wrong).

How can you be so sure?

Quote:
They want us to do VB work with the extra controls (Common Controls, DataGrid, Common Dialogs etc.) but we don't have permissions to use ActiveX controls. So we ask and the admins say "Too much of a security risk", so we said what about the room with no internet access because then AX doesn't matter, "Still to much of a security risk". Of what?

Of someone physically logged on the machine deliberately exploiting an ActiveX weakness ?

Just want to mention that if for the sake of just getting to program something, at least get the crimson editor. It's a really nice little editor, with syntax highlighting and a bunch of other handy things. There are of course many editors like this. They all beat notepad[grin].
hey for that crimson editor. I downloaded it. Now i was wondering if you know how to compile a file in c++.

or if you could compile it....
To compile C++ source code, you need a compiler. Crimson editor does not come with one (it is only a text editor).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement