Sign in to follow this  

Remote reboot windowsxp

This topic is 4340 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I can't think of the name of the program in linux, but they do have a remote desktop client in linux that can connect to windows verisons that run terminal server/remote desktop. You can restart them that way. Else you might look for a program that can reboot the computer from a remote signal (wouldn't be that hard to program).

Well you would have to actively access the remote desktop and then issue the reboot command. In XP you can click on the Windows Security button on the taskbar (which appears in remote desktop mode), or use taskmgr and choose reboot. I'm looking at a remote connected computer right now. I reboot them all the time. I know its possible.

And as far as a program, just write your own. Look up on creating service programs. Then lookup using Winsock2 for networking. And then you want how to get the security permissions to reboot the computer. All of this is avaialble in the MSDN library. Then you would just need to write a small linux program which uses berkeley sockets to send a message to the windows machine to reboot.

hehe, i have done it. I have a service on NT to reboot the PC, BUT it doesnt work (i add the privilege to reboot). When nobody is loged, the reboot doesnt work (Error : device is not ready). That's why im searching a program.

If this is a one-installation situation where you want it to work with just two specific machines, then just write a small windows service that listens on a certain port and waits for a certain packet, or something.

I could write one in a couple hours, fairly simple.

Dave

You might also try the ExitWindowsEx.

And I don't know what to tell you about the InitiateSystemShutdown function. I have written apps to restart the computer, but I haven't ever written one as a service.

really weird way ( ;-) ) to do it :

1. install wine
2. get "psshutdown"
3. start psshutdown with something like "wine psshutdown \\your_computer -u youruser -p hispassword -r"
where "youruser" has to be a user on the pc you want to reboot and "-r" means "reboot the pc"

since i don't use this tool often i am not completely sure if this might work ^^

A “cool” way to do this would be with WMI, that should probably be the preferable method. WMI is an implementation of a technology called WBEM, which is available in opensource packages such as OpenWBEM.

It'd be a lot of work, I suppose, but learning new things is fun, isn't it? Although it's far more fun to manipulate WMI objects in javascript than in VB, C++ or C# etc.

This topic is 4340 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.