Sign in to follow this  

Dawn of Fantasy, from Indy RTS to Mainstream

This topic is 4328 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Fellow GameDev`ers. We just launched a new website for our Fantasy-themed RTS project for PC – The Dawn of Fantasy - http://dawnoffantasy.com. We invite you to explore and learn about our dream come true enterprise. Five long years have passed since we started with our small Indy project. With a large support from GameDev community our small company of 5 have grown into a full-fledge full-time developer, with over 30 employees. And so have our project, from a humble 2D RTS it evolved into a full-fledge mainstream 3D RTS title. After a lot of hard work and without doubt some good luck on the way, we are close to completion and as of now going through publishing negotiations. Dawn of Fantasy is scheduled for late 2006, or if things don’t go as well, Q1 2007 release. Kind Regards, and many thanks for all your support…

Looks good.
Also, wasn't this project booed out of GDNet help wanted a long time ago? I feel like a lot of people told you to start smaller. Guess you showed them, huh?

I would love to see a video of battles in action!

It certainly looks very nice.

One gripe though - your website. Even on my fast work connection it took ~15s to load which is kind of ridiculous. And your (admittedly nice) design broke my mouse-wheel, which is my main way to scroll on a web-page.

Excellent job making it though.

Great work, looks great!! Can't wait to see my units climb and swim :) Is the game leaning more towards magic than realistic combat? Or have you balanced the two, sort of like Warcraft III?

Congratulations! Your project looks awesome.

If I may ask a question: You wrote that you're starting publishing negotiations now. How did you finance the project with 30 full-time employees without being supported by a publisher from the beginning of development on?

Guest Anonymous Poster
@ d000hg,

Yeah...we are aware that our website it titanic in size, we will try to drop a bit from it in the near future. We rushed to reopen it and didn’t quite get a chance to optimize everything.

@ sigmaent,

The game is all about realistic combat, more like Battle for the Middle Earth than Warcraft 3. Realism in combat is of our main concern actually. Magic runs parallel and is be very important late game. Each race typically gets only one spell-caster unit, which is more of a hero type. Most of the higher level spells were designed to brake a long tie game in multiplayer.

@ Zmaster,

We tried deferred payment approach. We were offering high rates, with interest rate until we secure our funding, to compensate for uncertainty. This was a risky approach, but in the end I got to say for our project this was the only way to succeed.

Talking about combat.
We just released some new screenshots showing off a dozen of battle screen,
You can view them at our official website (dawnoffantasy.com)
or over here: http://www.reverieentertainment.net/forums/showthread.php?t=263

Guest Anonymous Poster
If your website looks that good, I am sure the actual game kicks ass. Good luck to you!

Wow.. that movie is very impressive! On point though was the movement of the tree tops. Or the wind blows very hard or they were just moving a bit to quickly.

I will definitely bookmark your website :)

Lol yea those trees are crazy, think there animation needs to be slowed down quite a bit, looks like the're on steroids :p

But I LOVE the game, can't wait to be able to play it.

About the trees, we already fixed that bug, weather was stuck on storm wind:) One of our visual features - storm or rainy weather usually comes with strong wind, decreasing ranged accuracy and making trees go wild like you saw in our trailer video.

We have our first gameplay video coming up in a day or two. You`ll finally be able to see the huge stronghold base in use.

Meanwhile we posted a little preview video, showcasing combat, you can find it here - http://www.reverieentertainment.net/forums/showthread.php?t=266

Sign in to follow this