Sign in to follow this  

[.net] Announcement: Game Engine Toolset Development

This topic is 4290 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi everyone! Just wanted to unofficially announce my new book that is just about in publication. Game Engine Toolset Development will hit printers around February 14th, and should be in circulation around March 14th, just in time for GDC 2006! (By the way, I’ll be there if anyone wants to meet up). Instead of posting a whole bunch of info on the book, I’ll just give you a link to this site: http://www.getdbook.com The book is about building reusable and robust game engine tools using C# .NET 2.0. In case you see any posts on Amazon or other book sites, the current information on there is extremely old, so please visit the site I linked to above to get the correct information on the book. Thanks, and please let me know what you think! ~Graham

Just want to chime in and say that I've been following gwihlidal's work on this book, and I can absolutely guarantee that it will be a fantastic book. If you're developing in .NET, and especially if you're doing graphics work, buy it. I know I will.

The TOC is impressive. It looks to me like you cover all the stuff that nobody else has thought of (or wants to), especially for a book centered around engine tools.

I found the section on Legacy Interop to be particularly interesting. As an engine designer who uses the actual engine in the editor, that is quite a valuable and rare resource.

So uh.. it's a pre-order for me [grin]

Early on I had the opportunity to help Graham flesh out the contents of this book. He has written what I believe will become the quintessential resource on .NET tools for the game industry.

If game developers learn to follow the advice given throughout the book, we'll begin seeing more stable and more fun games and editors. Long gone are the days when your interns write your tools. Great work Graham! Congratulations and good luck with everything.

PS: Feel free to ship my signed copy to my home or office address. [WINK]

I personally feel that this book is going to be extremely valuable to any team in the industry. Tools are all too often ignored or reduced to the minimum needed. However, they often have a huge influence on the final product.

I wish this book or something similar had been written long ago, and I wish I didn't have to wait until mid/late March to get my copy.

Very nicely put together, Graham. After taking a look at the table of contents, I'm quite interested in having a read. You've put alot of work into this and I really hope it pays off.

Did you get the chance to have a short talk with noaktree? His journal is full of toolset mastery, probably a big reason the guys over at SuperVillain Studios took him in [wink].

A huge congratulations for you Gwhil. The amount of work you've put into this book is simply fantastic. I hope it sells well, as you deserve every penny that you earn from this.

P.S. I don't have to go to GDC for my autographed copy [wink]

I think you can preorder it off Amazon right now (though the Amazon info is very old, so trust the info on http://www.getdbook.com :)

I will ask my publisher how it can be preordered. Thanks for the interest!

EDIT: Promit beat me to it :)

~Graham

[Edited by - gwihlidal on February 4, 2006 8:44:45 AM]

This topic is 4290 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.