Sign in to follow this  

Does game designers requires programming experiences?

This topic is 4338 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello to the community. copying topic from my local community to hear your opinions. do you think that programming experiences requires for Game/Level/World designers to do the job? if you think Programming experience is necessary term for those creative jobs why? - what's the merit of having programming experience for those creative jobs if you think it is not necessary term why? - what makes you think that they can do the job without the programming knowledges Please let me hear your opinions.

Yes, good designers should know at least some programming. If you want to know, take a look at the at the Help Wanted forum, plenty of "designers" there with all sorts of ideas that arne't new...but are nearly impossible (if not outright impossible) to implement. Knowing the capabilities of your personnel and your available resources will allow you to properly apply those resources without wasting time, money, and effort on impossible dreams (or at least those that are impossible with your current assets).

i would think atleast a level of programming knowledge would be necessary. with this knowledge, you end up understanding more of "how" your world is created vs "wouldnt it be cool if we..." scenerios. also, having programming knowledge will only help you, especially in cases where you figure out how to do something someone hasnt done yet.

I think game designer is often mistaken for just writing a story, or drawing some images for the artists. Although software engineers exist, you often have to a basis system for the programmers to work off of. Understand computer programming can help you plan and make the game have less bottlenecks/issues in the future. Be aware this isn't premature optimization if that possibly pops up in your head. Many problems are born in the design, and then can't be stiched out later on.

Computer knowledge, OO knowledge, programming concepts is about all I can think of right now.

Guest Anonymous Poster
a game designer definitly benefits from programming knowledge.

level/world designers doesn't necessarily need it.
it depends on the game though. in some cases it is definitly good if a level designer can use simple script languages to add dynamic features to the levels.

This topic is 4338 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.